Contentedness and how to find it.

For the last few weeks I have been struggling with feeling dis-content.  Its not that I see our lives as needing more - our life is infact beautiful and Im very blessed!  Its just we are STILL witing on word about the shop sale.  We have been sitting in this awkward waiting place for this entire year so far. 

Funnily enough the book that comes to mind with all this waiting has been my sons book "Oh, the places you'll go!" by Dr Seuss...

You can get so confused
that you'll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles cross weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place...
...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or the waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
.............................................................
NO!
That's not for you!
Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

Ahh, waiting.  The people say they are very serious about buying our business, they are talking to lawyers regarding the business partnership, they say they want to pay full price.  There are many things that sound hopeful but the reality is we are still waiting.  The truth is a "maybe" means very little.  Even a "yes" in business means very little until everything is signed, things have called off and the contract is finished.  

But throughout this last few weeks I have been trying to search for that feeling of contentedness everywhere!  In scripture, in our friendships, in prayer, in sewing, in family and love and company of my family and friends.

And it dawned on me contentedness requires DISCIPLINE.  We are not content from the things we do in our life, thought they may help keep us focused.  But we are content because we decide to be and then we need to have the discipline to stick to it.  Sure enough slowly, slowly the feeling of contentedness has been creeping back into my heart.

Its not enough just to do simple things, because unless your heart is in the right place the simple things are no better for you in then the complex things.  For me I believe it is in the process of the simple things, the way in which they force us to change our thinking, the way in which the activity forces us to slow down and stop rushing, which is so good for our souls.  But even then we still have to choose to be content in our hearts.

Its easy to let dis-content slip in, but harder to push it out.  A little like money I guess.  It is hard to earn but easy to spend!  If we don't seal the plug, we can find ourselves working hard and an empty bank with nothing to show for it. 
 
Today the sun is shining outside, I have been busy working on some dolls the last two weeks and I have spent some time with a few of my very favorite people in the last few weeks.  My heart feels rested, and at ease.  Today we are getting stuck into beginning the structural elements of our giant veggie patch and garden re-design.  It will take us a while but I am excited to be starting,  The promise of spring and longer, warmer days around the corner always excite me! 

Anyway, the day is calling so I will leave you with a short piece of scripture that I find helpful to keep in mind.


Much love!

xx

Powered by Blogger.