Moments that make up our days....

Our days are made up of many moments.  Some good, some not so good.  But by slowing down and capturing the good ones we can feel like we are living a good life.  I often look around at my comfortable little house, with its up-cycled cupboards, mis-matched furniture, shoes spilling out from the designated shoe rack, dogs sleeping on the doormat and wonder "how did I get so lucky?".

Truly I feel so rich.  My house is small, quite often looks like a tornado has gone through it, too often our dinners are a hodge-podge of what is in the pantry and garden, and some days the weight of motherhood, the continuousness of it rests heavily on my weary shoulders.

But then there are other times when I can see the beauty in all of it.  When the house is still as messy, and still just as small but yet I feel enriched, blessed and joyful.  Its funny how the only difference between the two is ME.  Its my perspective.  Sleep affects this very heavily.  It is a massive factor in my ability to feel peaceful and in the moment.  And the other thing I think is ensuring I take the time to stop and count my blessings in the small things, to slow down a little and remember how lucky I am to have clothes to wash, food to cook, how much of a blessing it is to have a family to care for.

I used to see housework as a chore.  Something to "get done" but since having children I realize more and more each child it is never done.  And that housework will always be here to do.  Its a matter of prespective.  For me looking after my home is an extension of looking after my children.  It is a gift to my family and it may sound old-fashioned but it is a gift to my husband.  Grant goes to work and financially provides for our family, he has a huge amount of weight on his shoulders, he works so hard for us all.  I want to make home life a soft place for him.  He helps out happily if its needed.  We often hang a load of washing together or tidy up together at night.  But Im ok with being "team home" and him "team work".  I dont feel "trapped" by my traditionally female duties.  Because I believe they are the most important work I will do.    

I have worked part time for many years after having children.  Currently I am not.  I may again one day if the right job takes my fancy.  Currently I'm volunteering through church which I love.  But I will most likely still be the parent with the most amount of time at home and don't see my homemaker roles changing.  We have worked so hard towards the life we value and we both work hard to keep me home.  He works hard to bring in the money, I work hard at being resourceful, thrifty and conscious of where our family spends our money.

Despite the fact the boys drive me crazy at times.  I love this life, I love being at home with them.  Where else do you get breaks like this?.....


I hope you can find the blessing in your day! 

Xx



11 comments

  1. Perspective. I like to think of it as a prism through which we view life. Like a prism when you change the angle you change the view. I try to remember that when my perspective becomes negative. As a part of life it changes all the time.
    I often start by acknowledging the startling fact that as a white woman born in a western nation I am among the very elite. I am a person with value, I can vote, own property, make my own decisions, chose my life partner, choose to have children and how many, choose to work outside of home I have clean water, shelter, plenty of food, clothes, heat. I can care for myself and my family.
    Perhaps I do not have everything but I have more than enough and sadly more than most.
    Remembering all this can make me feel very selfish when I am grumbling about my lot in life. :)

    You have a lovely perspective.

    Keep turning that prism so that you can see just how lovely life can be. Sometimes it is hard work but it is good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou.

      I think the experience of the flood and having lost so much, being displaced and yet still being able to find a rental property quickly and being able to provide a warm safe environment for our family was an eye opener to exactly how far our privledge stretches. Our tiny family was so blessed.

      Xx

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post. I think we all forget that perspective makes all the difference. Thank you, because I need that this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are ok Lisa?

      And I hope you manage to have a calm and enjoyable week. Xx

      Delete
  3. One bit of friendly advice is to always remember to look after you and to take a little bit of time for yourself each day. By doing this you stay on top of things emotionally and physically. You are the linch pin for your gorgeous family. Love reading about your family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou!

      I absolutely agree. We cannot possibly fill anyone else's tanks unless we fill ours first. It took me too long to learn that lesson I'm afraid!

      Xx

      Delete
  4. Sleep is so important for young mums (and old ladies) LOL! My daughter is still sleep deprived after having her bub but she knows things will get better. Good to 'see' you having a little rest during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep is so often under rated isn't it?? I love a nanna nap myself! Lol!

      ;)

      Xx

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful post, I agree. I actually think, that small house is a plus side. You get to tidy less, your mortgage is less, it is easier to heat it in winter and is realy a win win thing. We are currently searching for a houseplan to build our dream home, and I always wanted to have a small housr, because I lived in "a castle" of 360 m2 all my life, and it taught me few things (like everyone hangs out in the kitchen anyway at winter months, because it is the warmest) ;) and the more bathrooms you have, the more you will have to clean.... But to our surprise, the rules of the neighbourhood we want to build in have a minimum size of the house requirement, which for the section we want means at least 185m2, which is way too much for us. I was hoping to " save " on house size to give more to garden... I always thought that well planned 100 m2 (plus maybe 35m2 for a garage) is more than enough for the family of four... Well, the message is - your small house is a gem. You will so miss it when you will have few extra bedrooms and bathrooms to clean, so see it as a bonus, believe me! ;) and yes, sleep is everything. I totally agree :) i wish you to get enough sleep each night! All the best! I enjoy your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too see many benefits to a small house. It is certainly faster to clean and the more rooms you have the more you tend to fill them!

    I would however LOVE a small ensuite. Just a shower, small sink and a toilet. In a family full of boys I would like some privacy, especially as they grow and have friends over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry pressed enter!

      And to have a small room just for my sewing is important to me too. :)

      Such a strange rule in your neighbourhood! I t has never occurred to me you could build a house too small!

      Xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top