Community garden

Friday, 30 October 2015

on being creative....

I got a lovely comment on my facebook page yesterday from someone who wrote....

"Your dolls are truly beautiful Emma. I dream of being this creative!"

I just wanted to say YOU CAN BE!  Seriously you can. 

I'm not particularly naturally talented when it comes to sewing.  I struggle to think around corners and in 3D and how to imagine various seams will sit when piecing things together.  I often have to sit for quite a while and look at a pattern to really work it out. 

I remember the first time I laid my eyes on a Waldorf doll.  It was a photo online and I just fell in love.  I loved the craftsmanship, the natural fibres, the simplicity and the kind of play it was designed to encourage.  My interest grew from there.  I HAD to have one for my boys and so I eventually bought a kit, then bought books, patterns, DVD's, I YouTubed for hours and researched so much about these dolls. 

And then I practiced.  I failed, I tried again, I cussed a little, felt defeated at times that the product in my hand didn't match up to the picture in my mind.  But I persisted because of the love that was sparked in my mind and heart.  I'm particularly proud of my dolls necks.  I have improved so much, they are sturdy and smooth and this is an area I feel is essential to a well made Waldorf doll, and something I struggled with at first.  But with repetition, experimentation I have found my own technique which I'm really pleased with.   

I think mostly being creative comes down to persistence and repetition.  We can all have colourful and amazing ideas - but it takes persistence, repetition and love of the process for us to truly become good at our craft.  In all honestly I'm only about 1/3 of where I would like to be.  I dream of being able to produce dolls worthy of this standard......Dollectable.  These Dolls are collector dolls and simply amazing.  My dolls are nice, strong and sturdy but they are really a child's doll.  A doll made for cuddling, telling secrets to and going on adventures with.  I love making these dolls, but one day I dream of making something TRULY amazing! 

I have recently been branching out in my sewing to making my own clothes.  This is in the aim to help my dressmaking finishes.  To make a collector worthy doll I need to be using all my own clothing patterns, and they need to be finished to an excellent standard.  All these things are all building a strong foundation of skills.  And I love having unique clothing to wear! 

This was my latest project, the pattern was from Simplicity.  A dress made from cotton/linen.  Very airy and simple with big practical pockets.  I was experimenting with Bias tape, I have never really used it but I must say it is a little bit of love. 



So my point is, if you have a dream, do work on it, chip away at it and slowly persist, because realistically what do we have to loose?  Nothing, even if it doesn't quite go to plan, it's a wonderful path to be on with so much pleasure to gain! 

Much love, 
Emma


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!