Community garden

Friday, 11 December 2015

Schools out - na, naa, na, na!!

Ok in my head there is a tune that goes with that title, but the essense is - ITS SCHOOL HOLIDAYS!!! Woo hoo!!

Lazy days, gardening, walks, swims at the local pool, movies, the beach, coffees with dear friends!!

I'm ridiculously excited about having the time to re-build our family rhythm that has been so badly missing this last two months among the chaos of buying selling/moving/bush fires.

Max the cat is clearly excited too.....


The first thing?  Get the front two rooms finished over the weekend.  We are going a huge push over the next few days to get the master bedroom and the lounge almost finished by then end of the weekend.  Then we will bring in our furniture, move our family to the master bedroom and get this cottage set up into a slightly more functional manner.  Mostly excitingly I get to set up my sewing room.  Priorities here people, priorities!



The next step will be to focus on our diet, to whip that back into shape.  Moving, and renovating has not been good for my cooking rhythms.....My baking tins are somewhere in the shed and once we begin to unpack more then the bare essentials that we have now I'm hoping to uncover them.  I very nearly bought new tins but I restrained myself....I have perfectly good baking tins stashed in the black hole that is the shed.  (Moving fail right here - take note!)


Anyway I'm off to make myself another cuppa tea, whack some washing on to hang before the day heats up and check the animals water.  Our rooster's days are numbered.....we have had him from a baby and he made the grave decision to fully and relentlessly attack me and chase me across the yard as I was quietly feeding him and the girls.  I screamed like a little girl and ran for my life!!  My thongs were laying flung across the yard along with their food bucket and my legs ended up all scratched up from stacking it in spectacular style as he CONTINUED to attack me!!!!... He was crowing proudly with his success as I limped inside but I know who wins this one....Needless to say chicken soup is on the menu this weekend. If only I can find my slow cooker....hmm....

I wish you all a wonderful Friday and look forward to sharing lots of photos of the completed two rooms early next week!

Much love,
Em
xx

12 comments:

  1. Ha ha, Emma...that is funny even though it was such a painful and scary experience. At least you will show who is boss ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry, my husband laughed too after he gave me the appropriate amount of sympathy. Which apparently wasn't much! LOL!

      I liked the idea of having a rooster to protect the girls from stray foxes, he actually did solve my problem of the dog killing the chooks as Ronnie was equally as terrified of him as I was.....The chooks could roam happily and they would live together in harmony. But I cant have him being so vicious around the boys and I. :( The little bugger has decided he doesn't mind Grant......He might know his destiny is up to him as Im not going near him. ;)

      xx

      Delete
  2. I must admit...I giggled at the image of you running for your life, but I have been there myself so I understand...roosters can be nasty business, especially when they have it in for you.
    Can't wait to see the results of your next rooms...I will live vicariously through your renovations as my reno's seem to have stalled. Well at least until we work out what we're doing...and who knows when that will be, lol
    Take care
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems every one thinks its hilarious - I cant blame them, I lost against a bird.....ha!

      I cant wait either, Im sooo excited. Going for a drive to town to pick up the new flooring today! And also wardrobes for the master bedroom. We have enough for the little boys, though I may need to find a second hand chest of draws yet for Henry. But Grant and I are lacking still.

      I think ours will stall when it comes to re-building the back section of the house. I cannot picture how we will make it work - can you hire a bathroom I wonder?? Porta-loo yes, but we need a bathroom to go with it....hmmmm....Ahh the joy of renovating!

      xx

      Delete
    2. Re-building? Would you believe that's why we have stalled. We're at a point of deciding...do we knock off the back of the house - a dodgy old sunroom - and build a whole new kitchen and rear deck OR do we fix it up as it is and sell, to get us to some acreage. We are not good at decision making as it is, but the worst part (well sort of anyway) is that we actually own this house outright. So if we were to sell up and buy somewhere with more land we would end up going back into debt. As I said...we are not good at decision making.
      Cassandra

      Delete
    3. Oh, meant to add...when we did our bathroom, hubby put a toilet in the shed/garage. We figured if we decided to sell, then it was an added advantage. When it came to showering, we bathed the youngest (at the time, 6months) in the baby bath, and hubby knocked up a crude frame for our old bathtub to sit on in the shed and attached a hand held shower head to the taps. For hot water we bought an instant hot water thingy off ebay. It is still in the shed and hubby loves it when he needs to wash grease off his hands in the middle of winter. Ironically we decided to renovate the bathroom during July, don't know what we were thinking there, but it all worked out in the end :)

      Delete
  3. Emma, I'm so jealous of your old Adelect cooker. We found one when we were renovating here but the cost of getting it converted was huge so we had to leave the darling little thing in the salvage yard. :( It's time for that rooster to be made into soup! I know how frightening that is, and he will taste extra delicious. Yes you can hire complete bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a ripper little old oven! Though she keeps you attentive when cooking with her that's for sure, there is a nack we have not yet mastered to her! LOL! I hear the old lady who lived here made the best scones around so I have hope!

      xx

      Delete
  4. Get a bantam Rooster instead...much more manageable and does the same job.

    Loving the pressed metal ceiling too.

    Oh and that oven again.....drool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good idea. I love bantams, Grant will roll his eyes at me and say "silly little fluffy chook" but the boys are after bantams as pets.

      Its interesting the pressed tin ceilings in the lounge, hall and bedroom are all different designs. Its a very modest little cottage, The pitch is only over the front two rooms, even though it looks like it was all built at the same time when looking at the stone work. Ii made me wonder if they bought the off-cuts from some of the grander homes in the area?
      xx

      Delete
  5. Love your rooster story. Have been there and know how delicious rooster soup is. Yeh for school holidays and this is from a teacher perspective. Looking forward to seeing how lovely those front rooms are going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is living on borrowed time at the moment, we don't have the time to dispatch him this weekend and I don't want him to go to waste. ;)

    Im excited about the front rooms too, Will has surgery on monday so we are pushing to get it done for then so he can come home to a nice, warm, relaxed welcoming home. With his toys put, books, the TV/DVD's and so forth. its midnight now, have just been painting the woodwork all night while Grant cut in and rollered. We have done one coat on most of it, though got a window and some skirting to go and a second coat on what we did tonight fist thing tomorrow. Second coat is usually much faster so hopefully by the time the kids and I get back from church 9Keeping them out of the way) Grant will have smashed a bulk of it out, ready to lay flooring.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!