Community garden

Thursday, 17 December 2015

Life in the little old cottage.

William is doing well, thank you for the well wishes, still sore of course so quiet home days are on the agenda this week, I ended up with gastro whilst in hospital trying to care for him, and little Gus had it at home with Grant, so it has been a long week for us all.  

Its 40+ degrees here, a tree change to Tassie is looking good!  Though its good for William to sit and have movie fests and rest, the house is closed up, air con on and we are chilling out.  

We have our split system booked to come in end of January beginning of February.  We need to do a bit of re-wiring to support it and have booked in the local sparky to do it.  In the mean time we bought a wall air conditioner and popped it in the window for now so the main house is at least a comfortable temperature.  The air conditioner will end up in the back half of the extension later on.  Its half the price of a second split system and seemed like a good compromise.

Gosh I love air conditioning.  Really what an amazing invention.  This old house does stay cool-ish for a few days but after about 3 days of 40+ degrees its anything bit cool.  It was possible to stay kind of comfortable though, undies, fans, wet flannels draped on us, which is how they would have done it in the old days.  I'm happy to take the modern convenience of air conditioning though.  We are all far less irritable.

I'm afraid I don't have any "pretty" photos of the new room, we started to unpack things from our shed to bring into the cottage and its all coated in ash.  Its going to take days of brushing off, dusting down and wiping clean bit by bit to bring it in.  Its a bit heart breaking if I'm honest and am feeling a little flat.  


But each time I bring something in I love I feel a little more at home here.  The boys were happy to see some more of their toys, today I hope to clean and unpack some of their books as we potter about here.  I am happy to see my rocking chair! (Such a Nanna I know...)

The fire place needs blackening still, and the tiles need to be put in as they are just sitting there.  

There are curtains to hang, the rug to bring in, pictures to hang, bits and bobs to do, but the room is mostly done, it just needs its touches of home to be brought in.

Today I thought I might list 5 things I'm thankful for.  To try and focus on the positives that are around me, when things are seeming difficult.

- I'm grateful for modern medicine, a safe procedure and William to be recovering well, and pain relief.

- air-conditioning - need I say more?!

- The man who paid for my car park ticket.  I was at the ticket machine having just left hospital with Will and all our things both feeling quite miserable, him post op, me nauseous and weak facing a 1.5hour drive home and I realized the ticket machine only accepted credit cards or pay wave.  Neither of which I have.  I nearly burst into tears as I realized I would have to trudge us both back inside the hospital, to find eftpos to remove cash to pay the $20 ticket fee.  The man kindly, without hesitation took one look at us and paid our ticket.  That was an angel right there.  I thanked him profusely, I would have given him a giant hug except I figured if I passed on gastro to him it may just be the last good deed he ever did.   ;)

- Snuggles from my boys, as they all piled into bed this morning to snuggle with their Mama my heart grew full as I breathed their sweetness in.   This is why we are working so hard, for these little guys.

- Modern appliances.  My vacuum and washing machine have cleaned up more ash then I ever thought possible.  In times like this I think about the women of the old days.  Doing it all by hand.  I'm grateful to be able to have the choice.  The best thing is this choice gives me the ability to switch off to a degree, I get to throw in dirty things and they come out fresh without me having to re-address them at every stage.  This makes a difficult process a little easier.  A little more gentle.  For that I am grateful.

Much love,
Emma
xx    



13 comments:

  1. I started to tear up when I read about the man paying your parking fee...what a beautiful soul some people have. I had a similar experience once and I have never forgotten it. My daughter was about 2weeks old, my eldest son was 2yrs and I needed to do the grocery shopping. Hubby was back at work and I organised myself and off we all went. All was going great until we got to the checkout, by this stage both kidlets had had enough. It was the days before trolleys had both a capsule and a seat so my 2yr was running amok, trying to 'help' mummy...and then my bubba started screaming. Here I was trying to calm a very hungry baby, keep an eye on my 2yr old and unload the groceries out of the trolley. Of course so many people just stood there watching, when one beautiful lady approached me and said 'here, let me hold the baby while you get everything sorted' I don't know who she was, but she could see I needed help and she was there for me. She calmed my daughter while I dealt with my shopping and my 2yr old. I didn't know I could be so grateful for one small act of kindness...but it is something I have never forgotten. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know this person if I saw her again, but I hope the universe repaid her for her kindness towards me.
    I'm so pleased that someone was there for you when you needed it...good things happen to good people.
    Oh...and today, with the mountain of washing I have, I'm also grateful for modern appliances :)
    Have a great day
    Cassandra xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how lovely it is that someone came to your aid. It would be so lovely to let these people know just how much their act of kindness meant wouldn't it? I think thought the best I will ever do is to be able to pass it forward. Which is my resolve. :)

      Good luck with your ton of washing! I need to make more laundry liquid as Im fresh out. Its on my list today.

      xx

      Delete
  2. I teared up a bit too. Lovely blog post Emma, and how lovely to be grateful for the small things that so many take for granted. Today might be a day of trying to sit and chill with those gorgeous boys for a little while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, sitting and chilling is what we mostly did, though I had to take the boys for a run to pick up some supplies for our shop in the afternoon. An air conditioned car is not such a bad place to be mind you.

      xx

      Delete
  3. Even I got a lump in my throat too....restores your faith in humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You big softie Phil! ;) And yes, it absolutely does, which is completely lovely.

      xx

      Delete
  4. I have only recently found your blog through Jembella Farm and have spent quite a few hours catching up with all your posts. You have had such a busy 12months and can resonate with you on a few of your posts of late. We sold our house in Freeling with settlement taking place 5 days before the Pinery fire raced through the area. We had friends who have been affected by the fires and are now just starting to rebuild their lives. Putting your house on the market,the decluttering and the pressure of keeping the house tidy for prospective buyers,then selling and that long wait for everything to be finalised....and then later the packing up and MOVING DAY. We have finally finished our unpacking,but I too,wanted some of those special things to make my new environment feel like home. You will get there so don't put too much pressure on yourself to do everything at once.I absolutely love your cottage.....I can just imagine how beautiful it will look when it is finished.You have such a great usable space to become reasonably self sufficient and with such a handy husband it's only a matter of time before you will be reaping the rewards. Sending my warmest wishes to you and your family for sharing part of your life with me. MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for spending the time to read so much of this little blog!

      Did you remain in the areas once you moved? I'm so very sorry to hear about your friends, there was so many homes lost.....Just so awful.

      Merry Christmas to you too!

      xx

      Delete
    2. No Emma, we were on 3/4 acre in Freeling and as we have recently retired the property was getting too much for us particularly with the watering and the up-keep of the garden. My daughter who lives in Warrnambool in Victoria was diaganosed with breast cancer at the age of 44 so for us it was a heart wrenching decision to leave the Barossa and relocate.We loved the area and after many years trying to establish the garden with crabapples,beautiful ornamental deciduous trees,roses,fruit trees and a potager garden... it was a shame to leave it. I see so much of what I was trying to do in what you want to achieve and I will be able to continue that through your posts.My daughter underwent chemotheraphy and radiation over a 9 month period finishing in April this year and is now in remission....thats when reality strikes and you realise family are so important.I will look forward to reading more of your progress in your quest for in your "SIMPLE LIVING JOURNEY". Cheers for now, Heather.

      Delete
    3. Wishing you all the best for your big move, I'm so pleased to hear she is in remission! Sending prayers her way that it continues and that her cancer is forever gone.

      How special to be closer to family. I'm sure the people who bought your beautiful Barossa garden will be very pleased and give it much love and nurturing! It sound like it must have been beautiful.

      I'm keen for gardening advice anytime. :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Emma,
    Just looking through your posts made me laugh as we seem to be on the same journey at the moment:) We sold our home in the hunter valley and moved two hours north to a little run down cottage on bigger acres. My husband dreams of having 100 acres but we have just 5 acres. To go bigger meant going into debt which we don't want to do. The cottage may be run down but we own it fully so like you no one can come and take it. Today we are madly painting and hopefully moving more furniture in from our shed. We have 11 for Christmas lunch so we need somewhere to sit!
    Hope you have a lovely Christmas and I will look forward to reading more from you.
    Take care,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a sticky beak at your blog, lovely! So beautiful and green, quite a contrast to here at the moment and I love your cottage. :)

      There is so much security in knowing you own your home isn't there? though we have a very small mortgage now to do the works needed, as there is quite a bit which was always our plan. For us a small was better then putting our business under too much pressure to get the essentials done. :)

      Good luck with having 11 for Christmas! Happy painting!

      xx

      Delete
  6. Oh Emma it is looking fabulous!
    Was thinking of you yesterday when I heard about the dust storms up your way. That's the last thing you needed on top of the ash!
    Glad William is doing better too.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!