Community garden

Sunday, 27 December 2015

Before, during and after; Lounge renos!

I thought it would be fun to do a snap shot of our lounge before, during and after.  It still needs its skirting boards, my photo wall hung and a few finishing touches, but it is certainly getting there.

To remind those who are new to this blog, this is what it was like when we bought it....
The boys chiping back the old, salt damp damaged plaster  which they treated later.

Applying the brown coat.

The fire place needs its tiles grouted, and blackened, and the flue repairing.  We keeping an eye out for second hand/salvage parts on our gumtree trawling.

My beautiful painting "two hands" by my artist friend Elizabeth Close takes pride of place above the fire!

That blank wall is screaming out for all my family photos.  

The ceilings are huge in this place - I need to add a panel to the of the curtains so the sheer is the right length.  We tend to put a simple roller blind behind and hang a simple white sheer in front.  I like the light and airy effect it gives, and it has the advantage of making the most of the whole window, allowing in maximum light which can be lacking in old homes.  It's also a frugal option, so a winner all round.  

The blind was about $45, the sheer was $30 and we already had the pole to hang it.  I will lengthen the white sheer with contrasting material from my stash.  We were advised by Williams Dr to keep all window furnishings as simple as possible to minimise dust for his allergies.  This way the blind can easily be wiped down and the sheer is cotton and machine washable, unlike traditional rubber backed curtains. Which if anyone has ever tried to wash them, you know what I'm talking about! 

To get this room stripped back, salt damp treated, walls re-plastered, painted and floor laid by trades would have cost many thousands, but by doing it ourselves we managed to keep the cost down to approx $1000.  This figure doesn't include the split system air conditioning that will be installed once we upgrade the power as its not in yet.  We have budgeted about $1800 for that.  We will buy it in winter and try to find a good special.  Well worth the time and effort.  

We are going to spend some time in our garden now, fixing sheds, the chook yard and the fences, and we have a bunch of new heratige chooks, and a friendly rooster on their way from friends that are moving interstate at the end of the week! 
So our current rooster will be dispatched for stock this week.  

It's lovely to take a break from the dust and the grit of renovating for a few weeks and trade it for the mud, dirt and straw of the garden! Ha! 

Much love, 
Emma 
Xx

14 comments:

  1. Wow - you folk sure don't muck around....results look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We tend to do a big push for a few good weeks then take some time to rest and change jobs, then go do another big push.

      Thankyou, we are really happy with it.
      xx

      Delete
  2. You are such hard workers, Emma. I can tell you are loving your little cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love it, it feels like "home" in a way the last place never did. It can be challenging but I feel peaceful here. :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. It sure helps having a hubby that will give anything a go! Mine is like that...I have never once taken my car to a mechanic, he can fix anything my fella :) The cottage is looking good I must say
    Cassandra xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats awesome, I must say Grant draws the line at working on the car, he can do the odd maintenance job but its one we palm off.

      xx

      Delete
  4. Just love the fact that little man was helping Dad with the work. Our little man is now all grown up and still turns his hand to fixing most things. By including your babes in the work they also have ownership of your home and take great pride in their achievement. Love seeing you little old lady having her facelift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they all like "helping" occasionally to Grants dismay, his tools are forever going walk about. ;)

      xx

      Delete
  5. Such a lot of hard work there. Looks amazing. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of work! I hope to be visiting it more, permaculture is not something I know a huge deal about but certainly would love to explore and research as we begin to set up our gardens here.

      xx

      Delete
  6. Shiny! Pictures make it look so easy, don't they? I can appreciate there were quite a few hours pushing dust and slopping muck about though. The lovely floorboards look supremely better than the green carpet too!

    Judging by the pattern, I wouldn't be surprised if that carpet was originally bought and laid in the late 70's. Bet you feel better with the kids playing on floorboards, than old carpet. In a couple of years our (once) new carpet, will be ten years old, and its definitely time to reconsider something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carpet was quite strange, more like thick felt rather then carpet, I wouldnt be surprised if it was older then the 70's. I was fantastic to rip it up, it made us itch and wheeze just going in there.

      I'm a huge fan of hard floors, so easy to clean. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. The room looks amazing, it's so wonderful that you could do it yourselves and make the important saving of cash for other things, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its taken lots of years of experience, trial and error and practice but now we are actually getting pretty good at all this stuff. :) It saves a fortune, and the joy with old cottages is they will always be quirky and will never be perfect!

      xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!