Weekend reads and our year of less update

I am a little slow in recording all the details for our Families Year of Less Challenge, due to being in a season of setting up the yurt and getting our feet on the ground here at the farm.  But this week will be an average sort of week for us and so I have been carefully saving all our receipts and I set up a spreadsheet with our rough budget and then a detailed record of what we actually spend and where for those who are interested.  Our weeks until now have not been "normal" with trips to Sydney and various other bits but now we are about back on track.  So, from here on out I plan to do a Weekend Reads post on a Friday as well as share week to week about our challenge progress. 

I'm not sure if this is of any real interest to anyone?  But if it is, do let me know and I shall share away in as much detail as you're interested in

Going forward there will be a stack of costs I will be able to record associated with up-cycling and salvaging second hand goods in which we will be using to set up our yurt into a lovely comfortable, off-grid two bedroom family home,  I hope this will eventually act as a resource to other Aussie's hoping to make a similar transition or changes in their lives.  The fact is we have a stack of stuff to do here on bugger all budget, so it will certainly require some resourceful problem solving!



I was so incredibly touched this week when Jane who is a long time reader here so kindly and generously sent me the most beautiful package of some gorgeous homemade soaps, shampoo bars, lip gloss, soothing "ouch" balm, (not pictured as it is in my cupboard after being used and I forgot to get it out for the photo) a crochet flannel and make up wipes, (in my favourite colours too) and a bounty of beautiful assorted seeds she has saved from her very own garden.  It all came on a day that had been a little tough and it completely lifted my spirits.  Now I am super excited to crack on and build a little seed raising area in preparation to plant out some seedlings in a few weeks.   

Some little hand sewn polar bears, stuffed with wool I made for Angus's birthday, a little latebut done!  He was super happy with them. 


YouTube.  This is a touch over 41 minutes of viewing, and well worth the time to sit with a cuppa and watch.  The truth of Aboriginal knowledge, wisdom and history has been overlooked for too long.  Fascinating stuff.    

Going along in the same path as the link above.  Please read this book, borrow it from the library, order it or audiobook it.  There is so much in our Aboriginal people's history that has been covered over and missed in mainstream schooling.  This is astounding.  This NEEDS to become part of our mainstream Australian understanding of our history.

I enjoyed this collection of photos by Helen this week, there was a quietness about them which I found just lovely.

I often love Joshua Becker's essays, his gentle approach really sits well alongside my own and I usually find myself nodding to his words.  People matter, friendships matter.  That is the stuff of importance. 

This one was from Stay Home Instead.  Can you tell I'm missing my kitchen?  Not to mention my thermie.  Not long now!

I love Maggi Dent, as a mother of 3 boys, I admit I am sometimes a little overwhelmed by the 'boyness' of my household, but I'm a champion for these boys of mine.  They are good, kind and sweet in their 'boy' way.  They are all too often a tangle of arms and legs with play wrestling that at times drives me batty and I shout to them to all "GET OUTSIDE!"  Moving to the farm has been a fascinating experience in seeing my boys roam free and wild, and seeing (especially Will's) pre-teen grumps minimise as he has more autonomy to lead and direct his own interests and more freedom in nature to explore, grow and learn.  Though I remain unconvinced about their latest request for a pet horse..... 

I hope this weekend reads finds you well.
Much love,
Emma
xx

Powered by Blogger.