Weekend reads


Happy Friday!  I hope you have time to sit and do something you love with a cuppa or a glass of wine in your hand this weekend.  I think Friday night here calls for a chilled bottle of sav blanc and pizza for dinner after a long week.

This weekend for us will be about odd jobs on the farm and preparing to build to a deck for the yurt to sit on once we collect it next week.  I also hope to sit and set out a plan and a time line for our 'Families Year Of Less So We Can Experience More' project.

This blanket was what inspired the thought process around undertaking such a project.  I was cold at night and our blankets are in storage.  So I nipped down to the op-shop and found this beauty just dropped in.  It's queen size and made from wool, and by golly it is heavy.  It had the distinct smell of age about it and upon examination, I found it is made from all the odd leftover bits of from an avid knitters stash.  And it is utterly beautiful.  

After a gentle hand wash and drying in the sun, it now sits on our bed, reminding me of more frugal times and the beauty that exists in using what we have and in taking our time to create.

We have trashed this beautiful planet of ours for the sake of convenience rather than need.  Isn't that a sobering thought?  People in past times valued their resources and their money.  They saved the scraps and made the blankets.  Don't get me wrong I'm not looking at the past with rose colored glasses.  I'm currently hauling water, washing in a bucket and washing our clothing/bedding by hand.  It was a slow, hard life and one I'm glad I only have to deal with temporarily.  But there was also deep wisdom there and certainly, in many ways, people of the past lived more in sustainably.  Things were better made and usually valued enough to repair.  Sustainability, as well as saving money are two of the key motivations behind our frugal challenge goals.  As well as well as hoping to persue a more mindful and creative life for our family.

I hope you enjoy this weeks reads.  I was inspired this week by my blanket and these links are mostly about slowing down, about embracing imperfection and enjoying and utilizing what we have, rather than turning to consume and gather 'more'.

Much love,
Emma
xx

In praise of unrenovated kitchens and overgrown gardens

Extinction Rebellion

What if all I want for my kids is an ordinary life?

What if all I want is a mediocre life?

Blogger bloggers.  A heads up from Chris at Gully Grove.
ominous spanners

Bronwyn craft photography
A dear friend of mine is a passionate photographer just coming off of maternity leave.  She is in the process of building up her photography business.  She takes wonderful photos of babies to oldies, to places to nature and is so very kind and thorough in all she does.  If you're in Adelaide and need some photos done Bron will do a beautiful job!
 

Powered by Blogger.