Camp cooking and meal planning

Our cooking facilities are basic here, but we do ok considering.

Our little caravan table, little fridge and kitchen area.  The BBQ and gas burners outside, with a trestle table nearby which adds to the cooking area.  

We have a tiny gas fridge that holds a couple of days worth of fresh food, a basic BBQ and a single gas burner.  On a Saturday, if the weather is cool and permitting and it's not a total fire ban we can make a small cooking fire for a camp oven.  The fire is made in a pit, the ground is well cleared and we keep a couple of buckets of water on hand for any sparks.  Safety first!

Normally I try to avoid as many colours and flavours as possible, and though I still do I have little choice but to buy more pre-packaged food than I usually would.  I'm ok with this as I choose the best I can, and I know it is only for this season until I can get back to our usual cooking/baking routine.  Aldi has the most affordable lunch box snacks for our ultra tight budget and I continue to make as much as I can from scratch.      


Dinner
Saturday - Roast chicken and veggies cooked in the camp oven with pan juice gravy.
Sunday - Vietnamese cold rolls with rice noodles, lettuce, capsicum, avocado, cucumber and leftover roast chicken.
Monday - Burritos with salad
Tuesday - Creamy tuna pasta with tossed veggies
Wednesday - Eggs on toast
Thursday - BBQ and garden salad
Friday - Burgers on rolls with salad

Other meals on quick rotation are spag bol, simple stirfry with rice noodles, and bacon/eggs/fried tomato/mushrooms done on the BBQ.  A perfectly acceptable meal for all times of the day I reckon!


Lunch
Lunches are sandwiches, toasted cheese sandwiches, fruit, crackers and muesli bars/popcorn.  On the weekends we usually make a big batch of pancakes cooked on the BBQ for brunch, cheap and delicious!  The kids also love two min noodles as a treat.  

Snacks
Are usually pretty simple.  Fruit, yoghurt, nuts, crackers, hummus and veggie sticks are our go too options.

Breakfast
Cereal during the week, and pancakes on the weekend.  There is no time for messing about on school mornings here.  It is slow enough needing to gather water to do the dishes and trying to juggle and get everyone ready on time in our tiny space!

I keep a bag of mixed frozen veggies in the tiny caravan freezer, a big fruit bowl full of fresh fruit on the little kitchen table and basic salad items in the fridge.  Normally I have a fridge full of fresh produce, but here it simply is not possible at the moment.  So we make do the best we can in such a limited space.

The heat also makes it unappealing to cook more complex meals too.  I'm sticking meals that require minimal cooking time and prep work as even the most simple tasks we take for granted are more time-consuming at the moment.  It will certainly make getting a fully functioning kitchen with a full-size gas oven and a fridge in the yurt all the more exciting!

We are currently producing more waste then we usually would, but still there are small things I can do.  I use my bees-wax wraps daily, glass/plastic containers to store leftovers, I take my own cloth bags shopping and small cloth produce bags for fruit/veggies.  We need to build a composting heap in which we can process cardboard/paper, but as of yet, there are simply more pressing priorities like setting up proper housing for our family/running water etc.            

Much love,
Emma
xx
  
Powered by Blogger.