camping

It appears Grant is taking our frugal year challenge very seriously.  He found an old cattle trough on the farm he has dragged to the back of the caravan and is converting it to a bath/shower trough.  I'm yet to be convinced it is a particularly good idea but perhaps after it has had a good long scrub I will see his plan a little clearer....

Going for an early morning walk with Aggie and Ronnie.


We hired a post hole digger to dig the holes for the timber stumps which will form the base of the platform for the yurt.  Frustratingly the post hole digger kept stalling out which means the entire yurt deck has been pushed back a week.  Maybe two as next week we may need to go to Sydney to pick the yurt up. Gah!  Fortunately, the company will put the money we spent on the hire as credit to a bigger, better post hole digger.  I'm trying to be patient, really I am.  But I dream of a proper kitchen, running water, our own beds and a little more space in which we can gather.  That little Yurt is going to seem like a total luxury when its set up!

Old Tessa doesnt come on big walks these days, instead prefering to plod about the camp, looking for bones.  She is 14yrs old and she is stronger and fitter then she has been in a long time though with all her gentle walking up and down hills.  

Fortunately, we should be able to pick up our generator from the repairman this week, and we finally have internet so there is at least that!  Well, we have the internet when the sun is shining.  It's a start, yes?  The generator will mean we can use the washer and dryer too, which I'm hanging out for.  Can you just imagine the luxury?!  

Lucky this place is stunning as this whole camping business can be some what tiring.

Parts of this place could be straight out of the 90's childrens movie Fern Gully.

With this big life change of ours, it is the little things I miss.  Enough electricity, running water, a full-size fridge, and oven so I can shop and prepare a proper menu, a washing machine, my books and sewing things and space in which to spread out and sew.  I miss ordinary, predictable days.

But I also recognize our immense privilege in this situation.  Our camping set up though it is basic it is more than millions of people in the world will ever know.  We are safe, secure, we have enough food and water, our camp is clean and sanitary, we have shelter and stable finances, an excellent school for our children and great health care.  And we are living like this out of our own choice.  We are here simply camping short term and in a few short weeks, our lives will become infinitely more comfortable and modern again.  I cannot say I am loving camping whilst trying to maintain a normal family life but I can say I know when we finally get the things which most of us take for granted like power and running water it will feel like complete and utter luxury.    

Much love,
Emma
xx 


  


Powered by Blogger.