Community garden

Friday, 27 May 2016

making sauerkraut.

Sometimes we struggle to use a whole cabbage, and knowing how good fermented foods are for you I have been meaning to explore making sauerkraut for quite a while. 

The other day I went online and ordered a 3L ceramic fermenting pot.  Mad Millie brand, I am very happy with the quality of the pot, it's handmade and I love the bright green of the pot.  So cheerful!  The ceramic weights are perfect and its such and old simple traditionally designed item.  It has a water well around the top to seal it, and a little vent so it automatically "burps" itself.

I know you can ferment veggies with what ever is on hand but I actually don't have any containers big enough to hold a couple of litres of food, which are already not being used.  I decided it would easier with purposefully designed equipment and after searching online I settled with the "mad Millie" pot.  It will be something I use forever I can see already.

This link and instructions popped up into my news feed and it really is delightfully simple. 

Milkwood: making simple sauerkraut with whatever greens you've got.

I love that it's broad, it uses ingredients on hand, there is no need for specific starters as some places mention and that it encourages a variety of different kinds of vegetable ferments.  Which works for me!  I'm always looking for ways to use up left over bits and bobs, and I have since discovered I am completely in love with sauerkraut.  Crunchy, salty, sour, soft and squeaky.  Incredibly delicious.


One more simple skill under my belt.  Do you make fermented veggies?  Is it on your "to do" list to try? 

Much love,
Emma

14 comments:

  1. I've been fermenting for a couple of years now. My favourites are fermented silverbeet stalks and I have made a delicious curried cauliflower ferment as well. My current batch is fermented red onions which I absolutely love. Also can't beat the traditional old sauerkraut. I find them all quite addictive and there are so many vegetables to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sounds interesting, I will have to keep them in mind to try! :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Somehow I've never managed to try sauerkraut, but I've had that Milkwood link open for a while..I wasn't an adventurous kid so I'm still catching up on all of those years wasted on boring foods!
    Do you think that a normal glass jar with a brewing style airlock might work? I'm storing my drygoods in 3L glass jars now and could find a spare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it would. You just need to find something to pop inside to weigh the grated/chopped veggies under the briny juice that's created. Also you will need to burp it every day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've always wanted to like sauerkraut and other fermented vegies, especially considering the health benefits, but honestly...it just doesn't 'do it' for me. Possibly this may change with age, but at this point in my life it's not for me. And to be perfectly frank, there is about a snowballs chance in hell of getting my kidlets to eat anything fermented, except yoghurt of course.
    Glad to see you enjoying your fermenting adventures though.
    Cassandra xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think my eldest will like it as a side with the right dish, that kid has an amazing palette. zero chance the other two will. Grant will eat it as a side with a hearty stew or something too I reckon.

      xx

      Delete
  5. I love pickles and chutneys but simply cannot eat sauerkraut. As a child my German uncle would make me eat it and also eat blood sausage. Given I love a wide variety of foods and am usually happy to try anything new, I still am adverse to this dish. I do however love the mad millie pot you have bought. That shade of green is my absolute favourite. Enjoy your fermenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, its funny how there are somethings, no matter how hard we try to be open minded, that we still don't like. Mango is one for me. I love the idea of it but even the smell is too much. I have truly tried to love it, I can tolerate it to be polite but that's as good as it gets. ;)
      xx

      Delete
  6. Mango....really? ;-) I quite like sauerkraut and my son loves it and I often make it using a Moccona jar as the lid pops up to release the gas then I just push it down again. You can ferment all kinds of veggies as we were shown at one of our Simple Living Toowoomba workshops a couple of years ago and we are having another workshop in July which should be fun as it is hands on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I tried to like it Chel, really I tried!! Its like horrifying to you born and bread QLD-ers.

      Your work shops sound just fantastic. :)
      xx

      Delete
  7. I love sauerkraut! Although I have had mixed success making it - then again I have been struggling with getting a good container for it - you Mad Millie one sounds exactly fit for purpose. The only fermented things we make are Kombucha and yoghurt which the family just loves and gives us 2 good sources of probiotics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did a bit of reading on it and the ceramic pots are beneficial to the process. Also the lid being self burping with a water seal seemed very helpful to the fermenting process too. I liked it would stop anything exploding in my kitchen should I completely forget about it. Which happens from time to time in this place. ;)

      Delete
  8. That fermenting crock looks wonderful, I just had a quick look online and Everten.com.au have them for $99 and offer free postage if you join free as member.....good deal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and since Mad Millie is a NZ brand, its not far from home for us in Australia, so it feels like we are supporting an "almost" local brand.

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!