Community garden

Thursday, 21 April 2016

The hidden gems in parenting.

Sometimes parenting is tough, really tough.  Its tiring, repetitive, patience testing and messy.  Sometimes we can be working on something with our children for months without seeing any signs of improvement.   Sometimes despite our best efforts to raise well mannered, considerate, kind, empathetic children we hit walls of despair worrying they are too self absorbed and selfish and worry we will never manage to nurture them out of this normal childhood phase.

Until they aren't. 

Until we see a glimpse of pure sunshine and joy from the trenches.  Where our hearts fill with pride, where we fall more in love and more in like with our children and who they are shaping up to become.  Where they stun us with wisdom, consideration and empathy beyond their years and we fill up our hope tanks and keep on going.  Remembering why we work so hard to teach these important lessons.

Despite feeling like we are getting so much wrong, seeing our own imperfections through our parenting, working harder on ourselves then we ever knew possible so we can give our kids the very best of ourselves, in turn trying to bring them up to be the very best of themselves.

It tuns out I have bronchitis and am on antibiotics, needless to say it has slowed me down considerably.  I'm only able to do light chores as I become short of breath and dizzy if I push myself.

And William has stepped up and beyond and utterly amazed me today.  He has helped me tidy, then vacuumed the lounge, bedroom, kitchen, hallway, and indoor porch.  While I folded some washing, re-made our sweaty bed from my fevers, and tidied the kitchen.  He has swept the paths after the dogs dug in the garden, and then picked some flowers for the hall table.


I love this kid, my heart is full, the house is in order.  What more could a Mama ask for?  Ready for a relaxing afternoon together.

Much love,
Emma

xx


23 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweetie. I love when they just work it out, and help you...because they can see you need it. My kiddos could do with a stint helping out, in the throes of school holidays our house seems to be a sea of forts made with cushions and doonas, lego pieces, and requests for screen time.
    Hugs Cassandra xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh forts and scattered leggo - I reckon we could trade houses and be quite at home! ;)

      xx

      Delete
  2. they work it out eventually & we are just there to guide them, they do after all have their own little personalities too.
    mine are all grown up now & they have all turned out okay despite any hardships or arguments we had in the past about this or that, i brought mine up on my own so it was even harder but we are all the best of friends now & i wouldn't have it any other way.
    it's sad when some families lose that & don't see their kids anymore. we only have one life & we need to make the most of what we have
    great post & hope you get well soon too (lots of herbs help the sinus' & bronchial)
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing when families are close after all the children are grown. Very special.

      xx

      Delete
  3. I'm only at the start of this whole parenting caper but posts like these make me feel like I'll get there one day
    Rest up as much as you can,I hope you're better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will! Just keep plodding along, remember to take a break when you can and celebrate the small wins, they all add up to be something pretty amazing at the end.

      xx

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to read this Emma, but not good to hear you're not well. I wish I was closer, to bring you a meal, but your team appear to be holding the fort so well :) Oh I see your table is the very same as mine. It's lovely and looks gorgeous with your beautiful things atop. Sending you healing thoughts and much love dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look after yourself Emma - be kind and gentle and keep those expectations realistic!
    And what a gorgeous boy! A heart of gold filled with love for his mum. Praying for a speedy recovery for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Im getting better, slowly. I didnt realize how unwell I had become I dont think. Serves me right for being stubborn. ;)


      xx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful boy. This young man is a credit to you and Grant. Take time to get yourself well and give that young man a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been getting many many hugs, sweet little guy.

      xx

      Delete
  7. Way to go Henry. Ten stars!

    I hope you feel better soon, Emma. If you have any lemon balm herbs growing, make yourself a tea with a little honey. I find it helps ease tension in my head, that comes with illness. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be great, but I killed my lemon balm in the move, damnit! I will have to buy some more.

      xx

      Delete
  8. Emma, I totally understand the constantly working on something with your children and not seeing any fruit, sometimes for a long time! Be encouraged, a wise friend once told me children are like sponges and they just keep soaking it all up. He was so right, I'm still amazed when my daughter who's now in her late 20's says 'mamma you always told us ....." And repeats my words / advice back to me verbatim.
    Hope you feel well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your right, they do pick it up even if it doesn't look like it, the good and the bad!

      xx

      Delete
  9. Okay.. so your boy has me all choked up. What a good kid you have. You should be very proud of him for helping you out while you are not up to par. Being a mom really does have its moments. Hope you are feeling better soon. The antibiotics should kick in fairly quickly. :) --krystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, he had me all choked up too. I'm much better now thankyou, still tired. but better. xx

      Delete
  10. Emma, I'm so with you on the working on children without seeing the fruit. But be encouraged, a wise mentor once told me that children are like sponges and just soak everything up. He was so right, I'm still amazed when my now late 20's daughter says 'but mamma you always taught us....' and repeats my words verbatim back to me.
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my heart! A child helping out - my two (4 and 20 months) are generally pretty good, although it comes in bursts. Get well soon xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little 3 year old is becoming a good helper, my 5 year old is not so much, but with somethings he does well. Its funny how they are all different!

      xx

      Delete
  12. Oh that is just gold! I love it when kids do something to help, especially without being asked! Its rare in my house, but when it happens it chokes me up. Hope you feel better soon, rest up if you can.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!