self care

Self care.  Something we all too often neglect, but it is essential to a good life, to a simple life.

Self care in the season of young children can almost seam like an impossibility.  But it is in this period of life it is the MOST important.   Little children's tanks need constantly filling, which means parents need to constantly AND consciously fill theirs. 

Yesterday my three boys went to have a little stay and their grandparents for two nights.  I have never been away from my youngest and the other two only ever whilst I was in hospital having my next baby.   So this is a first and a big mile stone for us!

I feel strongly that our children are ours to raise, and we love to do it.  But we have not had a "normal' 6 months and the offer of a rest has been lovely, despite my initial hesitations!
(Gussy's birthday present.  Clothes for his beloved "Jimmy" Waldorf doll made from fabric he chose.  He loves yellow!  William  and I are going to appliqué a tee-shirt in matching fabric as a gift from him.)

I have realized all though I'm very conscious of self care I am weary to the bones, after the bushfires.  Moving, renovating and running a business on top has not helped.  But it took a couple of nights of the kids away for me to fully realize the extent.  I felt I was doing an ok job at topping up my tank, and in a way I guess I was.  I'm not rocking in the corner after all!

But it turns out I need a full service not a top up so this time alone is doing me a world of good.

I have a whole post or two rattling around my head on this, I went to the most fascinating talk with a dear Reverend friend and mentor of mine by a renowned psychologist and expert in post catastrophe mental health.  I will write a blog about it later, mental health is an issue very close to my heart.

But for now I am off.  Grant and I are going to the city.  Alone.  We are staying in a nice hotel we booked late afternoon on lastminute.com.au and will be meandering through a couple of shops, (Rundle Mall has had not one but TWO facelifts since I last went there.)  Check out the hustle and bustle of China town and visit my most favorite restaurant Ying Chow.  It is not a fancy place but the food is amazing!  We used to go there often when we first started dating after I finished a late at the RAH at 11:00pm.  I have always been a night owl.  The city at night is always something I have loved.  Not one I crave often but the contrast will be lovely, such a treat!

Today I have been dozing, sewing and pottering about.  To spend more then a few hours home alone has been lovely, and strange and something I needed so much.
(Hand sewing a doll for my little nephews birthday in March.) 

This last few months has been such a process of stripping back, refining, challenging and peeling back the layers of who our family is.  The bushfire, as the flood did 5 years ago, once again stripped us bare.  It especially showed me my weaknesses as well as my strengths.  Now it is time for resting, for re-charging, for un-apologetically following my heart of hearts.  

Sometimes when I look at these few events it all seams kinda crazy and mind blowing.  Like its someone else's life.  Floods? Babies? PND? Bushfires? Owning a business? Crazy renovations?  Not all of these things are ever things I envisioned in my life! (The baby part I did!)  But I have great faith that God will use them, in only a way God can.  The things that make no sense to me now will become clear one day I believe.  These lessons now will hold me in good stead.  I believe I (we) are being shaped for something.  I do look forward to seeing what it is.  For now it's complex, heart breaking, awe inspiring, humbling and beautiful all mixed in togeather.....and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Much love,
Emma
xx




Powered by Blogger.