Community garden

Monday, 4 January 2016

Newest family members.

Bit by bit the routines and activities that make a house a home are beginning to emerge.  As they do my contentment here grows.

We killed our first rooster yesterday and he has been put in the slow cooker with herbs from the garden, carrot, celery, onion and garlic to simmer away to make broth.  Grant is run down at the moment so chicken soup is on the menu for dinner tonight.  Grant is very experienced at dispatching animals given his farming and agricultural background but not so good at butchering it so it looks pretty.  We need to invest in some good knives for him.  But no doubt with practice he will get better.


I would like to say I'm tough and am totally fine with eating and butchering our own meat, but I'm going to be real, it kinda grosses me out.  I mean ethically I completely understand it is ideal, the animals are grown, and butchered in their own environment, their lives are of a high quality with lots of room to roam, good food and a nice natural environment to scratch and carry out chook behaviors....intellectually I completely agree with it, but none the less it makes a little bit inside of me squirm.  Its going to take a little getting used too.     

We are getting some new chooks today from friends who are moving interstate.  (these ones wont be butchered.)  We are going to need to increase our egg intake!  I wish the boys liked hard boiled eggs, such a great, easy lunch time snack.  I wonder if I bombard them with them if they will change their mind?  We will be getting a friendly rooster which is great.  I look forward to being able to go in the chook yard again, as do the boys. 

The little cottage is going to be full of new little family members soon.  We went to buy mite treatment for the new chooks.  The owners treated them organically but they think they may still have some so we will treat them medically just to make sure.  And as well as the treatment we walked out with these guys.....sooo sweet!  A great holiday job of feeding, taming and looking after them, they are very young and just getting their tail feathers.  We will search for a large cage on gumtree in a few weeks.  While we work on taming them we will leave them in a small cage and they can stretch their wings when they are out with us, which will be several times a day.  

Gelati was also on the menu today as I was given a bunch of fruit from the a wedding I was in on the weekend which I cut up and froze to make fresh, cold gelato in the thermie.  It was a delicious treat!  A good way to jam fruit into everyone also.  I was also prepping some ham for a quick and easy pasta.

The boys enjoying the gelato.  Icecream headaches all round!!

The wedding was a beautiful, but huge day.  Im still feeling tired from the last few days of events!  hospitals, weddings, family stuff.  But it was just lovely and great fun to catch up with so many friends and celebrate the beautiful couple.  I think it is the last "big event" on our calendar for a little while.

If your wondering why Angus has a bandage on his head in the photo of the boys eating gelato it's because he had an accident in the backyard.  He split his head open on a star dropper on the fence we are about to rip up and replace for that exact reason.  It required a trip to hospital and a few stitches.  He doesn't need the bandage now, but he feels secure with it on, so it stays.  Though today I need to wash it and replace it.


Anyway the washing machine is beeping at me and I have a mountain of washing to get through after the last few days of busyness!   I think tomorrow afternoon when Grant knocks off work a trip to the beach might be in order.  So getting the jobs done today, between naps, bird cuddling, puzzles, books and cuppas is on the cards.

Much love,
Emma
xx

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy that slow cooked chicken (rooster). Just think of it as the best organic and ethical chicken meal. We've forgotten what bought chicken tastes like now.
    Good luck with your new hens and can I recommend reading "Eight Acres Blog" for Liz's great knowledge of natural chicken care. I also bought her E-book on keeping chickens which is great value. Oh, to top off an already eventful few days, you get stitches in the family. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok cool we will check it out. I think I have noticed that on your side bar? Or on someones sidebar I follow.

      I totally agree and want to eat our own raised meat, its the remaining little bit of princess in me I think! Soup is a good starting point with it I think. No carcass looks pretty after spending 12-24hrs in a slow cooker! LOL! And the meat is stripped off the bone for the meal which makes it easier again.

      Grant did scar me many years ago when we butchered some old soup chickens and he left the crop in one accidentally and it totally grossed me out. I'm determined to overcome my "princess streak" as Grant calls it. I'm sure I will in time.

      Are you guys getting this thunder up your way?? The sky is rumbling here and I'm about to let the dogs inside. I'm hanging for a decent downpour and thunderstorm.

      xx

      Delete
  2. We used to pop our butchered animals into the freezer thus after a few weeks the 'horrors' of butchering were gone and there was enough time to disconnect. Oh and your little cooker stoically cooking dinner....aawww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stoically burning dinner she was!! She hates me!! LOL!

      I was no where near the butchering, I cant watch. Maybe one day ;)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Have you tried making Scotch Eggs? I'm sure thy'll appeal to your little guys. They can be soft or hardboiled inside. I have just done a posting on them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I have not made scotch eggs since high school home ec! Might have to give it a whirl. :)

      Thanks for the tip!

      xx

      Delete
  4. The joys of raising boys, and their little accidents. ;)

    My husband went to hospital a few times, after playing outside as a youngster too. One time he fell out of a tree, onto the garden shed, hurting his arm and then he got stung by a bee, after he fell off the garden shed, onto the ground. I'm hoping our son is a little less accident prone, lol.

    I found it difficult to eat our roosters too. My mum was a full-on country girl who had to do the butchering of chickens and rabbits, and even she has told me, its not easy to consume those meals - all on account of what's involved before they get to the table. But you do what you have to do. I have not mustered up the courage to get involved in the butchering process either. I've been known to almost feint, at the smell or sight of blood. All my pathology blood tests, have to be taken lying down now. For my own safety, they told me, lol.

    Enjoy your new animal friends, and putting your feet up, after the wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I swear I replied to this!

      Yes as Angus fell he split his open on the start dropper then landed on bricks! Most unfortunate, though your husband was incredibly unfortunate to land on a bee! How random! LOL!

      Im ok with blood, I used to be a dialysis nurse for years, and prior to that a bunch of other kinds of nursing.

      Its the yard to plate thing, and the visual linking of eating an animal we cared for. But he did make particularity delicious broth, I must say and Im sure with practice it will get better.

      xx

      Delete
  5. I have chooks and ducks so always have plenty of eggs. Hard boiled is a great way to use them up. My trick with my oldest (fussy eater) was to continue offering them and to try them cut up different ways - the fancy egg slicer was a hit as was the egg mayonnaise sandwich which I first made for church morning tea but now becomes lunch on a regular basis! Keep persisting - kids tastes change all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I have just been boiling a bunch every couple of days and eating them myself. Now two of my biggest are happily eating them with a little herb salt! Stoked! :). I do think we have an egg slicer somewhere....in the depths of the storage shed. ;) it will turn up after we Reno the kitchen and pull our stuff back out.

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!