Photos from the garden.

We have been busy in the garden at the cottage.  Laying irrigation, shifting in soil, manure and gypsum.  

Grant has un-conventially pruned a couple of trees up to provide shade for the kids.  There are a couple of oranges on the block and the one he drastically pruned we were told was not particularly nice.  But it provides a nice little bit of shade now for the kids to play under.  We are not huge orange eaters so the one big tree behind it will be more then enough! 


Playing in the cubby!

The mud patch hidden under fruit trees - though the boys in-inadvertently gave one of the peach trees too much water and the fruit is splitting.....oops!

All this gardening is thirsty work!

Muddy, dusty boys!

giving the sprinkler system a test run.
 




My herbs are looking happy, we are eating basil by the handful!  The Aloe is coming in handy for all the bumps and grazes these boys are getting among all the work in the garden.  

William has started to take cuttings, we have set him up with his own area to put them all and he is getting all the old pots from the shade house and re-potting everything.  Its awesome to see his passion for gardening coming along.  He watched this on gardening Australia where you put one pot inside the other as a method of helping water seep into the soil and has started setting up various pots himself.




Much love,
Emma
xx

12 comments

  1. Oh, I am soo jealous of those peaches. I dream of being able to grow fruit like that, but the fruit fly is just too much for us. Out of two apples trees, one full size and one dwarf, it looks like we'll get no apples at all this year. We don't really want to spray and they can get through the netting...but I live in hope. Vegies seem to do okay though.
    Its good to see dirty, mucky boys, it reminds me that my kids aren't the only ones who go outside and come back in filthy :)
    Cassandra xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no apples here so I'm jealous of your apples! Lol! If we were neighbours we could trade. ;). The peaches are not amazing this year here, but no doubt the will preserve well and bake well. :) xx

      Delete
  2. Yes Emma, I am jealous of the peaches as well. Too much fruit fly here in Queensland. I also made one of those pots inside another for getting cuttings to grow which I saw Costa make. They work really well and it is great to see your son being so successful with his gardening projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't seam to have too much trouble with fruit fly here, these arnt even netted so the fact there is anything left is amazing! Time to dig out my preserving kit I think. ;) xx

      Delete
  3. Looks like those boys are having a blast! Fruit looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water + dirt = hours of entertainment! And washing. ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow, it's all really starting to take shape. I love seeing your son drinking directly from the tap as we did when growing up. Such a good year for fruit trees this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My peaches are looking good but they do not taste amazing. The texture is a bit off. Mind you not unlike most peaches you buy in the shops. I'm just a peach snob that's all! ;)

      But they had already set fruit before we moved in and we have done nothing for them so the fact we have any I'm pretty happy with. It shows promise for next season. Im currently digging out and washing all my preserving jars that have been boxed away. I had no intention of using them this year with all that's been going on, and I presumed the fruit would be pretty minimal, but I just cant bear to see it go to waste! I'm thinking jam and bottling peach halves is about as much enthusiasm as I can muster mind you.

      xx

      Delete
  5. It looks like it is really taking shape - well done! What great memory-making times for your boys.We planted a new orchard area up our driveway this year. We live just south of Sydney. Our first successful crop was a few kilos of damson plums and off a tiny tree. So exciting to eat fruit from your own patch. Enjoy :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gee a few kg is pretty good for a first crop off a tiny tree! You must have been thrilled! home grown stone fruit is amazing, you just cant compare it to the fruit you get at the shops! :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. I think you might be at this lovely cottage longer than you think - it is delightful. The garden is so well established and those fruit trees are such a boon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Im not sure Phil, we will be here as long as the shop takes to sell. It may be a year, it may be 5 or more! We are happy here though. It feels like home, our hearts are at rest and the debit reduction has been amazing. :) Im really proud of our choice. Its hard work, work I didnt think we would be doing again may I add! But worth it for our family.

      xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top