A splash of colour!

We were trying to be a TV free house.  I want to be a TV free house, but the problem with this concept is that I discovered I actually LIKE TV......which makes it really hard!  I just love the concept of a TV free childhood. 

I have come to the conclusion I'm just not that crunchy.  I try to be, I'd like to be, but I really do love sitting down in front of the fire and snuggling up to a good movie at night! 

Earlier this year we lined our the shed out the back which is a fantastic room, and fully intended for the house to be a TV free zone and that room have a TV for occasional use.....but things changed.

It didn't work me not being able to supervise the little ones closely, we were heating/lighting that room and the lounge which is not cost efficient, when they were sick I wanted them close but needed to be able to be able to potter about looking after them too.  

So back to a low technology house we are and I'll have to be firm on TV times.  Which is fine.  

Our current TV is too big and too obtrusive.  Which is part of the reason I disliked the TV in the first place I think.  It felt like an entire room was dedicated to that function and it was not what I wanted out of the room, or for our family life. 

So we have bought a small, cheap TV which will also get taken in our old van for when we go on big caravan trips with the kids.  That way we can all snuggle up and enjoy a movie at night, so a good compromise I think.  One stone two birds and all that.  

Anyway I wanted the TV to sit quietly in the corner, not dominate the entire room.  So I bought a little solid timber TV unit second hand off gumtree for $40.  I rearranged the lounge (again!!) and got the room to flow in a way I'm pretty happy with.  Have I mentioned I LOVE re-arranging the house?!  It seriously excited me to try and work out how to make things look/feel the best I can.  

But the unit was dark and characterless.  My lounge felt like it was being overtaken by Baltic pine.  So I gave it a lick of paint and now it makes me smile!  A lovely job to do in the garden enjoying the beautiful day! 

Before....


Finished, I bought the hand painted ceramic handles ages ago from a little shop I loved, but had never used them and they work in great! 


I'm really enjoying embracing colour!  Once upon a time I would never have been bold enough but now it's a cheery, fun peice of furniture and really brightens up what was a dark corner, and by the TV being in the corner it s not the first thing you notice, I look forward to the little TV arriving next week which will help a lot.  It's a bit out of proportion with such a big TV on top for now! 

Xx





Powered by Blogger.