Small, green habits that add up

I have been reading a bit about climate change anxiety recently and with it's with good reason people feel anxious about our environment.  When we look at the state of our world and the rate of which we are trashing it, it can feel like we are watching a train wreck in motion, powerless to do anything about it.

Our new compost heap!  


To an extent that is somewhat true.  I cannot change big environmental policies, but I have the power to vote for those who I believe will best look after our environment and take climate change seriously.  I can't change the way the food industry packages their food, but I can choose items with the least amount of plastic packaging where possible, and opt for paper or cardboard packaging where available.  I can vote with my dollar for the future I want every time I shop.

I can cook from scratch where possible which is not only healthier but it also tastes better.  I can buy Australian as our farmers have some of the best and most sustainable farming practices in the world.  Supporting Australian farmers is a simple way we can help both our environment and the Australian economy.     

Cooking from scratch where possible is not only healthier, it produces far less waste.  

I love this quote from David Attenborough

“We need to move beyond guilt or blame, and get on with the practical tasks at hand.”

South Australia brought in a ban on plastic bags a few years ago now, and I quickly got used to bringing my own cotton tote bags, and cotton produce bags.  When we moved to NSW they had tried to bring in the same law, but people kicked up such a fuss that they put the change on hold.  

Seriously?      

It's really not a difficult switch to make.  This doesn't mean I never forget my cloth bags.  I do occasionally.  I'm human, and we all make mistakes.  But switching to reusable shopping bags is one of the simplest changes we can make in treading more gently on this planet.  

 A simple cake made with leftover dodgy apples from kids lunchboxes.  Cinnamon sugar makes a tasty topping without the hassle of icing. 

I don't shop at a bulk food store, though I love the concept and I very much hope it becomes mainstream.  It needs to become mainstream.  But for now, I have not found an affordable bulk food store near me.  We are not wealthy people and food shop on a very tight budget.  Interestingly bulk food stores are not a new concept, it is simply the way things used to be done.  Flour/salt/sugar/etc was kept in big bins and the shopkeeper would carefully fill each customers order.  But I can buy out of packaging if available because it is important to do so.

Because we live out of town we have had to become far more efficient with the use of our cars, unless we want to spend a ton of time and fuel to get what we want.  Unfortunately, it took us living out of town to become better at this.  If I'm honest the reason we used to drive more was a simple fact of laziness.  I couldn't be bothered being more organized which would have minimized pointless trips in the car and reduced fuel consumption.  

Line drying washing, even hanging clothing inside next to a heater which is already on in winter can save power.

I haven't used disposable cleaning cloths for a long time, instead, I use rags cut up from old towels/sheets/teatowels etc and simply wash them.  If I clean up something particularly gross I can toss it or compost it if it's made from natural fibers.  Old cotton flannels make for perfectly fine dishcloths and wash up well.  There is no need to buy synthetic sponges.  

We don't shop for entertainment, We buy things only as we need them and generally our needs are pretty minimal.  If I can buy an item second hand I will, which means we are using something that already exists.  If people don't buy the pointless, throw away stuff manufacturers wouldn't produce it.  It's pretty simple.  Together consumers possess huge power if we decide to make changes to the way in which we consume.

Making soap, this is a batch of soothing soap with oatmeal and lavender essential oil.

My point is, I don't do anything perfectly.  As much as I'd like too.  But over time the many small changes I have made have added up to be quite a significant shift in behavior, and these changes will only grow as we add further green habits to our daily behavior. 

With moving to the farm and camping for several months I had to accept that my best was not as good as I would like it to be.  But that was the season we were in and that's perfectly ok.  All we can ever do is our best, no matter what the task is at hand.  But now we are in the yurt, the Aga is running, I have a full-size gas fridge and even a temporary kitchen sink set up while we slowly build a proper kitchen.  It's time to do better and now is the time to get back into good habits, which is not only healthier for us, but also for the planet.

Here are a few simple switches we can make: 

- Use cloth (preferably cotton) shopping bags
- Switch to washable cotton cloths
- Swap out your plastic scourer for a metal one
- Choose staples packed in cardboard and paper over plastic
- Make bread
- Bake cakes/muffins/biscuits for school lunches
- Make soap
- Make laundry liquid
- If you're not ready to make soap or laundry liquid, you can choose to buy green versions of these things.  Choose laundry powder as it is packaged in cardboard.
- Compost
- Plan a herb garden 
- Look up local activities to do when your bored to stop the temptation to shop
- Turn off light to areas of the house at night which aren't being used
- Look in your fridge and use up anything getting old rather than nipping to the shops
- Make a list of things you really need then start looking second hand (patience is key here)
- Take shorter showers and turn the hot water thermostat down.
- Plan how you're going to use the car during the week to minimize unnecessary trips.

What are some of the things you do that have become part of your daily routine which has helped reduce your environmental footprint?

Much love,
Emma
xx


Powered by Blogger.