A close encounter

There have been a few comings and goings in our family recently.  My beautiful Max the cat is gone without a trace.  I suspect a snake might have got him as he was such a homebody and never strayed far.  Gosh, I loved that cat, he was the friendliest most patient cat I have ever met.  The boys miss him terribly, especially Henry.   



Max, the sweetest cat I have ever known. 

Max and Little Puss

I had a very close encounter with a wild dog the other day a big german shepherd x.  I was just out the front of the yurt, grooming the neighbours horse as she was looking stressed and had come in very close.  No matter how gently I talked to her she remained on edge.  The dogs seemed a little tense too but I put it down to the fact the horse was in so close to home. 

Then I heard Ronnie our border collie fly out from under the yurt across the paddock.  I glanced up and I was shocked to see a large wild dog approaching me, in broad daylight and out in the open. 

Ronnie faced up to him, but still, the dog took a couple of steps forward with his eyes locked on me.  Ronnie flew at him again and this time the dog turned and retreated into the bush.  Wild dogs usually work in packs, so I knew if I could see one, there was likely a pack hiding further back.  I took Aggie and Tessa to safety and called Ronnie back. 

But he didn’t come. 

Ronnie

I jumped into the car and drove it to the edge of the bush honking the horn and yelling, hoping the noise would frighten the wild dogs, allowing Ronnie to escape.  After a couple of minutes, there remained no trace.  Silence.  I hurtled down the dirt track to the neighbours to get help.  Fortunately, by the time we got back to our place Ronnie was back at the yurt, unharmed though panting and looking stressed.  Grant and the neighbours went out to see if they could shoot them that afternoon, but the wild dogs were nowhere to be found.  They are cunning, cruel creatures.

It was an unsettling and frightening experience. Wild dogs are typically scared of humans, but with the sheer volume of people escaping to the hills for a peaceful ‘bush retreat’ life, there is a growing number of people who move to the area and don’t do their bit to maintain feral animals.  The dogs are growing confident and unafraid of people, which is incredibly dangerous. 

We will do our bit to try to cull the wild dogs in a swift and humane manner.  In the meantime, Grant decided we needed a wingman for Ronnie, and for added protection for the boys and I.

Introducing Bear.



Bear is a 4-year-old red cattle dog x mastiff.  Originally from a farm and he is good with children.  His owner passed away and his daughter was unable to take such a big, energetic dog in the suburbs, so he has found his way to us.  He is a strong and powerful fellow, with the intelligence of a cattle dog.  He has fit into our life here beautifully, though has a passion for rolling in manure which has made him the stinkiest dog I have ever encountered.

He and Ronnie make a good team, together they patrol and when the wild dogs howl are close to home they gallop off into the bush.  When the boys are off playing, one of the dogs stays with by their side, and the other stays around the house.  It’s certainly interesting to watch how they naturally divide and monitor things.

Dear old Tess enjoying laying on the grass.

Aggie impersonating the cat.

Aggie is going well and loves her new playmate.  Old Tessa is getting on and I think this will be her last winter.  She is enjoying her nights in front of the Aga, and days sleeping in her bed outside or basking in the sun when she gets a burst of energy. 

Much love,
Emma
xx       

          
Powered by Blogger.