Finding our new normal

Life is getting so much easier now we are in the yurt, and as a family, we are far more settled and relaxed.  Each night as I tuck the boys in, I am so thankful they are in warm, clean, dry beds surrounded by their beloved stuffed toys.  It is such a small and ordinary thing but by golly, it makes me happy. 



Corned beef cooking on the Aga for tonight's dinner.   

Each step forward we take here I’m overwhelmed with a profound sense of gratefulness. 

I have been a little quieter than usual over the last couple of weeks.  It’s like a flood of tiredness from the challenges of the last few months caught up with me, and I just needed to catch my breath for a bit.  Amongst the tiredness I retreated into my cocoon and took a time to process this year, reflect and make plans to move forward.  There was also a rather large amount of reading done and I enthusiastically embraced afternoon naps.   

The importance of having a warm and secure home is not to be underestimated.  I don't think I will ever look at having a comfortable home in quite the same way again.  It is a truly beautiful thing.          

But life is taking on a more normal rhythm now, even to the point of getting up early to sneak in some writing before the kids wake.  Bliss!  Grant goes off to work early and I get up as he leaves, stoke the Aga and load her up with wood so the yurt is cosy for the boys once they wake up.  The nights are getting mighty chilly with crystal clear skies, and I’m thankful for the big wood stove.

Today there is corned beef on the go for dinner, and sourdough rising.  There are dodgy bananas to make into banana bread so today will be a day of baking. 

Sourdough rising, and the aforementioned dodgy bananas.  Just keeping it real! 

I’m not sure if it’s the change of seasons, or that I finally have access to my sewing things but I have been itching to sew.  I don’t have a lot with me, some fabric for a simple dress, and I had cut out a doll prior to moving which I tucked into my sewing kit.  A few days ago, I decided to start making a new 10” doll, simply for the joy of it.  It dawned on me that I have never made a Waldorf doll for myself, even though I fell in love with them which is why I started sewing them in the first place.  It's silly how we as mothers often feel the need to justify doing something nice for ourselves, isn't it? 

She has a lightly needed felted face which gives her the sweetest look.  She will have a long brown mohair wig, pale green eyes, a dress with pockets, a satchel, a book, scarf, boots, cardigan and a little felt animal friend to keep her company.  Something simple and tiny I can sew, perhaps a rabbit? 


Gosh, it feels good.  I have missed sewing so very much. 

As with everything, it's the simple things I have missed most.  A kitchen with running water inside, a good house yard, a clothesline and a garden to potter in.  But slowly we are making progress on all these fronts. 

I managed to get a original hills hoist clothesline on the weekend for free, from an elderly neighbour who was giving it away.  She had a new clothesline that was easier for her to manage on the deck and wanted to open up the outlook of her garden.  She was happy it was going to a good home and I am grateful to have it. 

We have also begun to work out the structural plans for the garden, where the fences should go and how we can manage building a productive garden with large dogs, security requirements and eventually cattle to factor in.  I think we have a workable plan now, and I’m excited to start on it.  But that is a post for a different day.

Clean washing patiently waiting to get put away and Little Puss enjoying the morning sunshine.  

Over the coming weeks, Grant is going to put a temporary kitchen sink in the yurt which we picked up for free.  This will make daily life easier while he builds the first stud wall and a proper kitchen.  I’m on the lookout for the things we need on gumtree and various buy/sell/swap Facebook pages.  It’s a small space, but I think we have worked out a thrifty but functional plan that should look pretty cool, using mostly upcycled and second-hand materials. 

Working to such tight budget constraints is challenging, slow and sometimes frustrating.  But it’s also fun as we find our selves being more creative then we otherwise would.  This move and process has forever changed the way we look at things, and what a great gift that is. 

Next post I hope to share the beginnings of our garden plans with you.  I hope you're having a lovely day dear readers. 

Much love,
Emma
xx

Powered by Blogger.