Camping at the farm

Slowly but surely we are beginning to set up camp at the farm.  Though we have a little way to go to get things properly comfortable and functioning in a manner which will suit us longer term.  (Well a couple of weeks is longer term.) But we have solar fairy lights strung up now, so that counts as civilized, yes? 


This is our little makeshift camp as of a few days ago.  Its not pretty, but it does the job.  We are yet to put up a washing line.  Our last one was rigged from the Landcruiser to the timber shelter!  I meant to take a photo as it was pretty funny, but this heat is draining and I keep forgetting to photograph things!  Next week I promise to have more pictures.  



Grant is in the process of trying to get our generator to start, some thing about a carbonator?  I’m not great with engines but I can tell you if the generator runs and I can get air conditioning and use my washing machine by the end of the week I will be one happy woman!  The laundromat is costing a fortune and we don’t have enough water yet to handwash at the farm. 

 I’m not going to wax lyrical about this whole extended camping business.  For me the fun part of camping is in enjoying the experience but also knowing it is only temporary.  Knowing you have your home to go back too, with the things we take for granted in this modern world.  You know…. like a power at the flick of a switch and enough water without having to fill up water canisters and haul it up the hill. Though we are expecting rain by the end of the week so that should go a good way to filling our two 1000L totes.

Food is simple here.  Crackers, fruit, BBQ, hot chook from the supermarket and salad.  We hope to get the camp kitchen better set up over the next couple of days where I will have a little gas burner so I can throw together a simple stir fry and whip up quick pasta dishes.  Though I need to scour the op-shops for a few more pots…It seems I have somehow managed to bring a stack of beautiful embroidered vintage linens with me and left the bulk of my pots and pans back in SA…..Nothing like camping in style eh?

Whilst this whole extended camping thing may not be exactly up my alley, the kids are in their element which is fun to watch.  They are very happy sleeping in their tents and swags and I bought them each a round plastic tub to store all their clothes in so they can actually find them and it all stays clean.  (kind of) Slowly I am bringing in simple routines which give them a sense of familiarity, which will become more important once school goes back in a few days. 

Though it all feels somewhat surreal and a its certainly a little challenging at times.  It's so deeply peaceful here.  
I'm reminded of when I was a teenager and I did a lot of bushwalking and camping.  I would load up my rucksack with food, water, a tent and clothing and go off for up to a week at a time.  While other girls looked at clothing and what not, I dreamed of camping shops and the bush.  I remember the sense of calm that would wash over me when I was out there.  With my tent, my little metho Trangia stove, boots and pasta packs.  The simplicity, the stripping back of the noise and pressure that faced my teenage self.  It was the one time I would feel like “me”.  I remember sitting by little babbling creeks writing utterly horrendous poetry, which has long since been burned.  But the memory remains.  Sitting here now I have that same familiar feeling of sense of self. 

I hope the life we build here maintains an element of going back to nature always.  Running water, electricity and the internet will be modern conveniences which I am admittedly looking forward too, because it is no longer just myself and a rucksack to worry about.  But I hope to always balance it so we don’t lose that essence of being here, of being cocooned by the bush.  That by the very design of the life that we hope to create that we are always pulled back to the power of the nature which surrounds us.  Pulled back to what is of most importance to us and away from the noise and hustle and bustle that creeps into our lives.  

Much love,
Emma
xx       
Powered by Blogger.