Arrived

*Thanks for following along as I share our families journey to off grid living and farm life here.  We are waiting satellite internet to be connected to the farm next week, so I may be slow in replying to comments and emails until then as it relies on my getting to town.  But I will endeavour to reply the best I can when I do get internet service.  I appreciate and read everything that is written in this little corner of mine and I thank you for taking the time to visit and reach out.  xx


The river we have legal access too.  Its shallow at the moment as its been dry, but apparently it makes a great swimming hole.

Well we are here, though perhaps a little worse for wear!

What an epic trip.


I am relieved to have it done with, to have arrived safely and to have all our belongings stored away.  It was a tough trip.  Whose ever idea it was to move across the country with three kids, three dogs, two cats and a turtle is completely mad. (Hint; it wasn’t mine.)  Especially when taking into consideration one of the dogs is an ancient, fat gassy Labrador….


t was damn hot on the road, which meant we had to travel slowly as the old Landcruiser kept warming up with the heavy load.  If we travelled slow she was fine though but on our first night we decided to stretch the trip over three shorter days rather then two long days.  
The kids did O.K. this trip, though they were a little irritable with the heat.  But if I’m honest we were all a little irritable with the heat and the seemingly endless travel by the end.  Even Grant was titchy and he is usually always cheerful!  But now we are here everyone has settled down and is back to their usual selves.    
I’m enjoying the peace and quiet this morning.  For the first 6 nights we are staying in a lovely farmstay, just down the road while we get a comfortable camping set up on our farm sorted.  Grant and the boys are at our farm this morning, finishing the timber frame over the caravan which will act as an extended shelter.  There is a camp kitchen to set up, a bathroom to set up, the little gas fridge to sort out and a dog yard to build.  I hung back at the farm stay to sort our belongings, meal plan for the week and to write a list of the jobs we need to do before school starts.  And if I’m entirely honest I also wanted to watch Netflix and have a nap in peace!  Those boys of mine are busy and loud, I badly needed some time out to decompress from it all and clear my head.
Setting up camp and a dog yard which will be home until the Yurt comes early Feb.
Each time I go onto the farm I’m astounded by the beauty of it.  The sounds, the huge trees, the greenness by which I'm surrounded.  It’s very different country from the flat open plains I am used too.  The plains hold their own beauty.  The wide open spaces, the beautiful sunsets and the big open sky.  In comparison the forest feels like your cocooned by the trees and hidden away from the rest of the world.  They are often partially hidden by mist rising up from the forest.  Its a peculiar and amazing sight, I don’t think I will ever tire of it.  I can’t help but feel like I should expect to see a hobbit come ambling out of the bush!


Mist rising from the mountains.






Well, I my coffee is gone and I best be off to get some jobs done whilst I'm in town.

Much love,

Emma
xx
Powered by Blogger.