Weekend reads

Morning rituals.  I used to dislike mornings intensely, choosing to sleep in until the very last moment.  Then mornings were harassed and rushed.  Now, I am sitting at the computer, finishing a blog post, after having my first coffee outside in the garden.  The kids are dressed, kitchen tidied, lunches packed and now I'm drinking my second leisurely coffee.  Funny how things change huh?

The air is cool, crisp and clean this morning.  The coffee is strong and good and the reading interesting.  I don't buy many magazines, but Grass Roots is always an worthwhile read.  It has me thinking of our farm, knowing that in all likelihood we will be there within the next few months.  Our little old cottage is officially on the market and auction is set 3 weeks from now.  Open inspections are booked for every weekend and no doubt there will be mid-week viewings too.

I have been organizing the yurt shipment, apparently it is Brown marmorated stink bug season in the USA, meaning the yurt needs to fumigated and then certified before it can enter the country.  We also need a customs officer to help get the yurt shipment in, and apparently there may be some kind of taxes on the item once it hits Australian shores.  Who knew?  I had naively presumed that once I pay the shipping (which was approx $2500, crating $300 and the fumigation which I think is about $300) that the item would get delivered to port, moved to a storage warehouse and I would simply need to pick it up with the cattle trailer once they have given me notice.  Somewhat like the post system but on a gigantic scale.  Apparently it is a little more complex.  Welcome to the beginning of hidden costs as we start this next season of life!  There is little point worrying about it, it is what it is, but we are now officially in a season of severe penny pinching.  Lucky I wasn't used to living extravagantly huh? 

I hope you enjoy this weekends links, as much as I have enjoyed finding them!  There are some real gems in there.  

Who needs extravagance when you have this outlook?  The birds are singing, the coffee is good and hot, the washing is drying on the line and if you peak just behind the washing line you can see the wooden ladder that goes up the most magnificent gigantic, gnarled pepper tree.  


The gift of death
Going on from my last couple of mindful gift giving posts, this is a good read and a thought provoking article to consider as we enter the Christmas season. 

The best chocolate cake ever
This cake is happiness on a plate.  3 sticks of butter in the frosting and all!

Lulastic Hippyshake
Lucy and her family share farm a property and live off grid in a yurt in NZ, I love her blog and her YouTube stuff, they are completely delightful, and honest.  This is her doing a tour of their farm and yurt living, its about 13 minutes and I dare you not to smile and come away feeling a little brighter!  Off grid living in a yurt

Thoreauvian simple living: unelectrified, timeless tiny home
A YouTube clip, of a lovely woman and how she and her family are living a simple, and calm life in their beautiful tiny house in the woods.

Urban Village
This is just the loveliest blog post by a writer by the name of Celia.  She writes at 'Fig jam and Lime Cordial' and her blog is great.  It is so full of wonderful recipes, sewing and ideas.

I hope dear readers that you all get a moment or two to yourselves this weekend to do something you love and that fills your tank.  

Much love,
Emma
xx
Powered by Blogger.