Minimalism......?

Since getting sick late last year with my heart problems, and the long and slow recovery that has followed I have had a lot of time to think....to nap...and to think some more.  I have had little energy to do much about all the said thinking but it occurred extensively none the less.

Since beginning our families journey into the realm of simplicity (what ever that is) I have been slowly and steadily decluttering and trying to consume mindfully and purposefully.  So far to say that as a family of 5, we do not have an excessive amount of “stuff”.  Our house is a nice size, though not huge by today's standards.  All my clothes fit in 1 standard size wardrobe, my kitchen cupboards are a little full but also my kitchen is not particularly big.  Anyway, you get the picture.

But in the last 12 months the urge to declutter more deeply has been a recurring thought in my mind.  I think primarily because the physical work I have been able to undertake has been so drastically reduced.  Now I don't think I’ll ever be able to call myself a true minimalist because I love cushions, books AND house plants - clearly I’m doomed from the get go!  BUT, I’m decluttering, donating, binning and passing items on with a new found vengeance.  Motivated by the possibility of an interstate move and by the brutal reality of how much time, effort and energy it takes to keep a home clean whilst renovating with three small boys underfoot.  (Dusting is SIGNIFICANTLY quicker if I have less stuff to actually dust.....farewell knick-knacks!)  I'm enjoying the ever increasing white spaces that are present in my home, I find it really peaceful.  There are so many wonderful blogs and pod casts out there to provide guidance and motivation in this area.  Some of my favorites are Rhonda Hetzel from Down to Earth and Brooke McAlary The slow home podcast which I'm sure if you are here you have most certainly heard of!

It's a glorious day today and the doors and windows are open.  Henry has been painting and if you look to the left you can see my washing drying inside from yesterday - in the aim of keeping it real!

And whilst I have been tackling this deep decluttering exercise I have decided I don't have the energy to declutter AND sell much at all.  So unless its worth the time to sell, like a piece of furniture for instance I have taken to putting a little makeshift table on the side of the road.  I then put an advertisement on my local Facebook buy/swap/sell page with a sign and a donation jar of “pay what its worth to YOU, all donations will be going to the local church and if your unable to make a small donation - please take anyway and enjoy!”  Win-win!  I don't “need” the money as it was stuff that was simply sitting there anyway, so the church gets some much needed cash which they pass on to the community through giving support and people get a bargain.  Everyone is happy!

You know I mean business when I'm decluttering BOOKS!

Between minimizing, and cleaning up after endless reno’s I have re-discovered my sewing mojo, much to my delight.  I have been slowly hand stitching a little Waldorf doll for a dear friends baby who is somehow already 6 months old! I’m really thrilled with how he is coming along and he is patiently awaiting his clothes, a little cape, felt mask and a little felt dog.  I will be reverting to the sewing machine to make his clothes however as I’d like to complete him before we see them next.  I have remembered how much I love sewing and doll making.  The act of creating something unique out of beautiful natural fibers brings me a kind of deep joy.

A sneak peak of the little fellow I'm working on.  

Anyway, I had best be off.  I'm eyeing off the kitchen utensil draw - you know the one that is so full of stuff that it never actually closes?  That one.

Much love,
Emma
Xx










Powered by Blogger.