Community garden

Saturday, 15 July 2017

The joy of creativity.


Creativity.  It’s one of the things that makes us as humans completely unique.  The ability to be creative.  We can express the creativity we possess through a multitude of ways.  In the kitchen, in the garden, writing, painting, music, sewing, knitting and weaving.  Through woodwork, through building, through craft.  The possibilities are truly endless, which is beautiful.  There is something for absolutely everyone.    

Creativity is not only fun, it can serve as a wonderful form of stress relief.  To build something and to make something with our hands.  It gets us back to a slower time.  Back to a pace we are better designed to work at, rather than matching the hustle and bustle of the modern world.  I always find my hand sewing helps me find a place of stillness in my mind.  As my hands rhythmically do their work, that my mind slows to match.  After a period, I find myself formulating a plan to tackle any worries I have, or that I have simply processed the pile of thoughts that have grown to teetering point and filed them all away in my mind where they belong.    

I have been lacking opportunities to busy myself with a practically creative outlet lately.  I have been writing which I love, but I also love to create things with my hands.  I used to make Waldorf dolls, and occasionally I still do.  But I have been craving a new outlet.  I went through a raggedy quilt sewing period and also a clothes sewing period.  These things are still things I love.  Though I’m lacking time for large, time consuming sewing projects at the moment.  But I have been wanting something new to sink my teeth into.  Something rhythmic, something I can do for 20 mins, walk away from and come back too.

And the other day I found it quite by accident. 

Spinning!   





Now you may ask how one accidentally stumbles upon spinning and receives a lesson in it, and I would have to say it was fate.  I have been wanting to learn to spin for years, but the lessons I could find are in the city over an hour away from me.  I was attending a local Mothers group and they were having a display of various crafts and one of them was spinning.

I completely sucked at it, but that’s beside the point.  I am hooked!  So now I am on the hunt for an affordable second hand spinning wheel, with spare parts.  The only way to get better is with hours of practise, and now I know someone who is willing and able to give me lessons!

I’d love to hear how you are creative, what you currently do, or perhaps what you would like to do? 

Much love,
Emma
xx 

14 comments:

  1. I love getting crafty, I have lots of material laying around waiting for me, I just need to find the opportunity to do it. I have dreams of sewing up clothes for the kids and me, but I lack the skills so it takes me a long time! I once spent about 5 hours making a pair of knickers out of an old tshirt and I was even able to wear them, once I lost bucket loads of weight after having my first baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! have you ever made a library bag? So simple and a quick, fun project. I did a tutorial some where on here, if you do a search. Those kinds of projects really help build confidence and familiarity and speed with your sewing machine. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. I love.ove to knit and sew. I find knitting easier to do so I am able to do it more often, usually while sitting waiting for school pickup, watching the boys play outside or before bed. Sewing is too big of a time waster for me so has been put on the back burner for now.
    I received a free wheel about a year ago. Still have no idea how to use it, my boys play with it when they are playing "ice cream shop" but I will one day learn.
    Craft keeps me sane. It's like meditation and I can focus on the one thing rather than a million things at once.
    Once again, I love your posts, I feel like it's chatting with a friend each time I read them, it's always filled with the "me too!!" Moments.
    Have a great weekend, and if you feel like doing a beginners tutorial one day for spinning, I'll be eager to learn. Von xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. craft is very medatative, your completly right!

      As for the spinning tutorial - as long as your find with things being called "the spinny bit" Ill see what I can do once I have mastered it a little. ;)

      xx

      Delete
  3. And when your find your wheel, I'll look forward to spinning morning teas together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often long to return to my art studio, to paint and draw - just have fun!! But that room has been overrun by the material, from making my daughter's quilt. Also, my husband's army kit, from when he was in the reserves. But he just shifted that out of the house recently, and I can see myself being able to step into the room again.

    So with a bit of organisation, I might just get my wish to be back in the studio. Just as you will find your 2nd hand spinning wheel, sooner or later too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you need to re-claim your art studio! The quilt you made your daughter was utterly amazing.

      xx

      Delete
    2. Awww thanks. It was a labour of love. :)

      Delete
  5. Spinning, totally addictive, after fifteen years I couldn't imagine not spinning. The different fibres, wool, alpaca, mohair, silk, they draw you in until you are submerged in a world of texture and colour. Knowing the hat or scarf or jumper you have created is totally original because no two spinners will create an identical yarn is so satisfying. Hope you find a wheel soon and good luck with the lessons.
    Lavenderlass

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have the beginnings of projects here, there and everywhere! I go through phases where I will make little things and then nothing for a while because I get distracted, especially gardening! I spent ages in the pavilion at our local show recently just looking at all the crafts that people had made and that has fired up my motivation again. The diversity and the skills were just amazing. There was a demonstration of spinning too and it was fascinating, it seemed so rhythmic and calming. I hope that a second hand wheel comes your way soon, Emma. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emma, Well look at you! How exciting. I am also interested in spinning. It sounds like the perfect hobby for you. I love mending and hand sewing, too. As you said, it's very meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love watching spinning but I have too many interests now that are scattered randomly all over the place, or still stored in moving boxes, to start another. I did drop by the local Artist's group, a couple of weeks ago to find a group of spinners filling their spools, and was invited to return. The new membership year begins at the end of this month, and it also includes the Quilter's group which meets on another weekday, so I'm seriously considering becoming a member.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spinning is great and I'm pretty sure the Sub branches of the spinners and weavers guild both Elizabeth and Gumeracha are still going and there may even be one your way. Barossa group meet in Nuriootpa Library. I'm not sure if the lady who has the shop called Knit spin weave in Clare holds classes. The guild on South rd Mile end sell good second-hand ones fully working for around the $60 and if you find yourself further up north Gladstone about 70 km from Clare the craft shop there has a few for around the $50 to $70 mark they open Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. In August 8th the fleece and fibre fair is on in Mount Pleasant. I learnt to spin with the help of the spinners & weavers guild cost was only $2 each meeting

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!