Rhythm, routines and health.

As I have mentioned, last year was a really tough year for me.  I struggled.  Alot.  I didn't realize how much until recently.  It's like during the school holidays the layers of pressure and stress have been slowly peeling away.  As I reflect back over last years posts, I can hear it in them.  Thankyou for continuing to read and stick with me!  I do so appreciate it.   

These holidays and having the time to be....well it's been wonderful, and energizing.  I feel like slowly as the layers of stress peel away I am beginning to re-emerge again. 

Don't get me wrong, last year was full of blessings and new beginnings.  Im so very greatful for it,
but I'm not sad it's over. 

I have gained alot of weight, (eughhh) my joints ache and my energy levels have been extreemly low.  Middy naps anyone? 

I have been to the Dr and they are giving me a good once over, blood tests and all the like - so far everything is clear and I suspect nothing significant will show up. 

I believe this is simply the cost of stress, and the hormone response chronic stress triggers.  It takes a serious physical toll on the body.  Despite taking the time to be mindful, and slow down last year.  It was still a tough year.  If I hadn't been on this simple living journey, I would hate to think where I would be now.  Very ill I suspect.   

So I have spent some time simply reading and getting inspired about our health again.  Putting back in place old, familiar routines, as well as starting new practices.  I have no words for just how lovely it feels. 

Re-starting my milk kiefer, broth on the simmer, youghrt straining for soft cheese and to use the whey to help soak beans/grains and sourdough starter under the blue cloth.

I have had "Nourishing Traditions" on my shelf for simply aaaaages.  But have been put off by it's size and depth, and a lack of time and energy to give it the proper time it deserves.  But being on holidays, and first half of the house is mostly renovated there is no excuse.  Over the past week I have been nestled down with a pen and paper and cuppa, menu planning, shopping list writing, and taking notes of pages to refer back to.  I am keeping it very simple.  But this slow, simple food resonates with me. 


A couple of weeks ago I wrote about using "click and collect" due to work/study/travel and being stretched for time.  My goodness it is working AMAZINGLY well.  I save time shopping during the day and now I can use that time to food prep/cook.  I have found my cooking mojo!  It's a little fragile, but it's there.

I'm finding I'm shopping every 1-2 weeks.  I have slowed the process right down to carefully look after our produce better.  Taking the time to rotate things in my fridge, store them better, and organize my fridge everytime I shop so nothing gets tucked in at the back.  My food wastage has gone right down.  Not that it was ever wasted - as it went to the chooks, but you know.  When we hurry and rush we forget whats there.  We dont take the time to value what we have.           

As I unpack my groceries I pop the veggies into a sink of water with a good glup of whit vinegar to let them soak.  This gets any dirt and impurities off and they last much, much better.  
They do need to be left to drain well,  especially strawberries. 

Well the boys are giving me the hurry along - we have a mother hen hatching out her eggs today and best we check on her, I hope to get some photos to share tomorrow!
Much love,
Emma
xx



15 comments

  1. I found that a lot of Nourishing Traditions didn't resonate with
    me - I found it very meat orientated which made most of the
    recipes useless in my case. A clear case of buying something
    online without seeing it first (at the time, no local libraries or
    bookshops had it)! I should have another look, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I guess I'm not using it as a bible per-say. Just taking the bits and pieces that resonate with me. Like soaking grains, sour dough, fermenting, broth etc. There are some good simple recipes in there which I love. Some books and web sites over caomplecate everything with 500 steps!

      xx

      Delete
  2. How lovely, Emma, that you have had time now to think about (and start) to take care of you in a way that feels right to you. I know what that chronic stress is like. When I last had a year like that, when I worked almost full time, I lost a lot of weight because I simply had this sick feeling in my stomach all the time. Everyone said I looked great but when I went and saw the doctor, because I was just constantly exhausted, my B12 level and iron level were way too low. No wonder I felt so lousy. I learnt a few lessons out of that and ultimately reflection upon it led me to leave my job and find a simpler way to live. I hope, when that busy factor picks up again, that you will be all set up with your routines and processes so that caring for you is easier amidst the hurly burly of life. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish I had of lost weight! But I totally understand the feeling terrible. Its just awful isn't it?

      Im still pondering this coming year and plans to be honest.

      xx

      Delete
  3. Oh...hatching chickens soon - nice. Pic's please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Mr HM, you can bet on it.

      Im SO excited! It's been my dream since we started our simple living journey. To teach the boys about life cycles, animals and birth. I'm so happy.

      xx

      Delete
  4. I feel my journey is similar. As my children grew and were ready to go off to school I had more time to concentrate on my health and wellbeing as well as some hobbies for the first time in years. I had a year of being absolutely focused on nourishing homemade food (nourishing Traditions was a wealth of information to me, even if I didn't make a lot of the recipes - I used the information in the book and applied it to my own recipes) but then .......my husband was diagnosed with Lymphoma in September. What a bomb went off in our lives. Every 28 days we need to travel 4 hours to Townsville for my husbands chemotherapy. This takes 3 days, then drive home again. I need to organise our children to be cared for by grandparents in our absence. My husband is still managing to work some hours, but much reduced, so I have increased my paid work to relieve the pressure from him. I Usually work school hours 5 days per week and prior to Christmas worked 13 weekends in a row too. It is so difficult to keep all the balls in the air - maintaining a house, childcare, nursing a sick husband, work. My stress and exhaustion levels have been sky high and my weight has suffered too. I believe stress is so damaging to us, but sometimes there's very little to be done about it except ride it out. My husbands dr is confident we can get him into remission so I just need to keep going until treatment is done. Mental strength and sheer force of will is sometimes the only thing helping me put one foot in front of the other. Hope 2017 brings some relief from the heaviness for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for sharing, I apologize it took me a while to reply we have been out and about alot.

      Sending my prayers to your husband and your family that he makes a full recovery. What a difficult time you and your family are going through. I think this is one of those times where survival is the key isn't it? Its a time when we give thanks for convenience foods and the fact we are able to focus the time and energy on more important things.

      I pray 2017 is a year of lightness for you and good news, full healing and rest togeather as a family.

      Much love.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Glad you're into Nourishing Traditions Emma. So much information in there that I love. It taught me about fermenting, and so many other things. I especially love the side panel information, it was enough to put me right off processed foods forever. And what about the cholesterol revelations that the author wrote about, many years before the medical mainstream admitted they were wrong. That completely gobsmacked me!! I pretty much live by the Western Price way now, even though I don't follow many of the recipes, I adapt our eating and food preparation to suit and feel that we're benefiting from it with our excellent health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesit really does doesn't it?

      Im not sure how many of the recipies I will follow, or if I will simply apply the tips. Im not a huge recipe follower to be honest but I do like they are nice and simple!

      Im not a fancy cook, Im not into faffin in the kitchen for hours on end doing lots of elements. I admire those who are - Im just lazy! So good sturdy, old fashioned dishes resonate with me. Without dirtying up the entire range of kitchen parafinalia too! lol!

      xx

      Delete
    2. You and I both Emma (not fancy cooks)!! If it has too many elements, it doesn't get past the first try, I turn the page and move on. However, I've adapted lots of our dishes from fancy, faffing around recipes, to one pot wonders of delectable tasting goodness. ;)

      Delete
  6. Love your new kitchen sink. Those apples look like they were made just for soaking in that sink! So pretty. I must confess we don't clean our fruit and veg so astutely, but now you've got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It is nice and deep that's for sure. :)

      I never used too, but it seriously improves the shelf life. Especially the strawberries!

      Xx

      Delete
  7. Love this post Emma! Really resonates with me! I need to get back on this wagon again! I've been quite slack these holidays, I keep thinking about catching up with you, just hasn't happened, but at least I can read your blog :-)
    -Kelly B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a break is what we need, to become inspired again. :)

      Yes, you can read my blog, but I can't see you! You need to come for that cuppa girl. ;)
      xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top