Community garden

Friday, 6 January 2017

New year thoughts.

So here we are, a week into the new year already! 

 I have been doing a bit of pondering about this little blog, where to take it and what to write about.  Sometimes I wonder if there is anything you would specifically like to read about?  I wonder if there are things we can explore together? 

I think there will be plenty of renovations to share, sourcing things second hand to do so.  I have been given the job of gumtree scourer.  There will be plenty of gardening, as we try and get this cottage garden into some kind of shape.  Hopefully a touch of sewing here and there!

I'm going set myself a challenge this year and work through "the simple home" by Rhonda Hetzel month by month and then blog about it here a couple of times a month.  I'll write about the changes we make, the things that work and keeping in with my aim to be real and honest- the things that don’t.

January is organizing the year ahead, I will continue to ponder this over the weekend and set up plans ready to share next week.   

Our organisation station.  Notices, invitations, pens, charges and the like all kept in one place. 

You know those people you catch up with that just help you find your calm?  I saw a dear friend yesterday and it was just so good for my soul.  It was nothing fancy, we drank coffee in her ramshackle old house which is in the middle of major renovations while our 5 boys played, splashing full bore, screaming and running like mad the mad things they are.  But to talk about life, both looking for the positives always and sharing conversation with someone who is also striving for slowness and simplicity...well it is a real blessing and a joy.  I left feeling deeply content.

It is HOT here today.  Like seriously hot. We have very little planned.  There is a load or two of washing to do.  There will be a little work on reading, writing and maths to do.  Playing with puzzles and colours with Henry.  Nothing heavy nor serious, but we all need to do a little work every now and again or our brains might actually turn to mush!

Writing letters to the child we sponsor. 

I intend to tackle my little sewing room/office also this arvo.  It is full of dust because of the louvre windows and its turning into a dumping ground.  I need to de-clutter it a bit, pass on fabrics I won’t use and also and lay out my current project which is a queen size raggedy quilt.  I'm hoping pulling it, and freshen up my work space will inspire me to work on it again.  Getting this room organized is important for the new year of study and work.     

Settling in to read together. 

I have also been getting our current rooms ready for the next stage of renovations.  We have sold our lovely TV unit and coffee table which were simply too big for our lounge and sourced something that fits better for $50.  Goodness I love gumtree!  The room is so much more spacious.  Now it works for our family. 

There is now lots of floor space to spread out and play on in the cool. 

The tv is now in the corner and no longer the main focal point of the room.  It feels like a calmer space as a result.  

I cannot love gumtree enough.  It is an amazing resource when it comes to simple living and budgeting.  So many people get rid of so many wonderful and useful things.  Be it due to life changes, moving, down-sizing or simply "getting bored" with the current look of their home.  As far as renovating goes, many companies get rid of “ex-display” stock on the cheap too.  It is a good first point of call.     

A good friend and I are going to do a trade on my kitchen dresser.  My beautiful kitchen dresser is 2m long and simply doesn’t fit along a suitable wall in this little old cottage.  But a good friend is interested in doing a swap.  His is kitchen dresser is significantly smaller and we will trade my dresser for his and his meat safe.  A perfect deal I reckon!  There is no point keeping beautiful things if they do not add to the functionality of your home!  They just become awkward clutter. 

Anyway, I best toddle off and pull out these puzzles!
Much love,
Emma

xx


     

  

16 comments:

  1. I am working my way through Rhonda's book month by month too, Emma. I think it's a good resource for tackling things, one at a time, not feeling overwhelmed by everything all at once. It's wonderful that you've been able to use gumtree and trading with a friend to find furniture that suits your home:) I have a couple of old meat safes here (one holds my sewing stash and the other my recipe books). I love them! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh lovely!

      It really is a clear guide isnt it? :) Where are you up to in the book?

      xx

      Delete
  2. You do have such hot weather down there, Emma. We have had two heatwaves which is enough for me for summer. Next week it will head up to 35C again but hopefully the heat will only be for a couple of days and that I can handle. Most of the time it is in the mid to high twenties here which is nice. I hope you have a wonderful year with your little family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its hot here today, its 37C at9:30 am......eughhh....

      Your weather sounds completly perfect! Im Jelous.

      xx

      Delete
  3. Your remodeling is really coming along beautifully! Your visit with your friend sounds so nice, and I bet your kids enjoyed playing together too. I like your new blog direction for the new year. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes they love it. :)

      It is getting there, slowly and surely! Cant wait until its all done. :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. De-clutter should be my word for 2017! I am determined to rid my cupboards of 'stuff' I have packed away. It's all good stuff, that's why I've kept it but it's not being used so out it must go! Stay tuned!

    I haven't needed to use Gumtree but It must be great when you find something you're looking for. 😊

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the decluttering. I am finding I can get rid of so much stuff, its like my de-cluttering is taking on a life of its own.

      Such a relief to be culling and clearing out to only what we use and love. I feel lighter. :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Emma, we used Gumtree to sell of some much loved, much used furniture before we moved from Darwin to SE Qld three years ago. We were downsizing homes considerably. Much of the furniture had been made by my clever hubby. When the lady arrived and saw how all the pieces worked together she bought the lot for the price we were asking. I love Gumtree.
    I don't envy you your temps at all. I live about 300km NE of Nana Chel. We have had some very hot and humid heatwaves come through but only to the mid 30's.
    I enjoy reading what you and the family are up to. I enjoy following along with your renovations. Keep going please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it must have been hard to sell furniture your husband actually made!

      And I am completly jelous of your climate. Mind you, this has been quite a strange season for us. Much cooler and wetter then I can remember.

      Thanksyou - I will keep going dont worry! :) I enjoy writing. Its kinda like a mish mash of online scrap booking for me.

      xx

      Delete
  6. Don't change a thing - I love your blog just the way it is and when ever it happens. It feels and reads organically, honest and real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of that book or blog over here in the UK so thanks for the recommendation - I've just had a look, I like the sound of it a lot. Living slowly and simply is always my goal but with work, kids, dog etc it's really hard. My goal this year is to simplify. I hope you manage the same thing too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the main thing is to keep on pottering away at living simply. its like baby steps, one day you will look back and all the little changes you have made will suddenly be huge when put togeather!

      It can be really hard with kids, work etc cant it? Thats when we need to go gently and give ourselves some grace. Otherwise we are trying to keep up with the simple living "Jonses" and thatsno fun either.

      Its a wonderful book and blog - do take your time to have a good look through- a wonderful resource!

      xx

      Delete
  8. My goodness Emma, your house has turned into a family home with style and so much personality. You and Grant have done an enormous effort last year, and not all that much more to do now. Yay.. the home stretch!! Yes I agree with everyone else, I love your blog posts just the way they are. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sally one day you will have to come over and have a good look around - you will see there is still SO much more to do. haha! But alot of progress has been made your right. I best go - Grant woke up Henry.....!

      xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!