persistance and consistancy.

Sometimes either on my blog or in my life people ask how we do it all.  Renovate, own a business, study, work, raise children etc.

I'm not special, nor even particularly good with time management.

This is what it often looks like....


Working on an assignment, late at night with a small child sleeping next to me. 

 It means not watching T.V. at night when my husband is. 

 It means saying "no" to things for the sake of sleep and sanity.

 It means hobbies get put on hold.  It sometimes means an excess dose of Mama guilt.

But for me, I think it comes down to if I really, truly want to do something or to learn something I will work out a way to make room for it.  It might take time for that space to be found in my life.  I might have to wait for the next season....It might mean putting something down so I can pick something up.  Sometimes an old season needs to end for a new season to begin.

But there are many things in life that don’t take that much time to try.  Like making laundry liquid, or learning how to make soap.  Meal planning and shopping for simple but nourishing family dinners.  Buying a few big pots and planting a herb garden.  These things are all small and affordable jobs in the scheme of things.  All too often we simply make them to be bigger than they are in our minds, and we procrastinate. 


We might get disheartened because our work doesn't look like the pictures we see on Pinterest.  But that’s ok.  It doesn’t have too!  We are only able to create the lives we want by firstly making the time to change, having the courage to actually do it, and the persistence to keep going when it gets challenging. 



But when we make these small changes, they add up.  Slowly and steadily.  Eventually if we make enough of these changes we will look back, and our lives will look dramatically different.  As we learn new skills our confidence grows, as we let go of what weighs us down we grow happier.  Suddenly our life looks in line with the things we value.  It looks like us.  It reflects our own values, dreams and personal story. 



Knitting is my new hobby.  I have always wanted to be able to knit beautiful jumpers, to read a pattern.  Today, I’m completely hopeless at it.  My tension is uneven; I have no idea how to unpick it to mend an error.  But I will persist and plod along.  Because I reckon all good things in life take time and effort.  There is beauty in a slow journey.  But the joy when you produce something that resembles your goal?  Nothing beats that feeling! 

Much love,
Emma

xx   


    


19 comments

  1. Dear Emma, keep on writing these posts because you are an inspiration to so many. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your too kind Sally.

      I do believe it takes courage to turn away from the norm. But that it's completely worth it.

      Xx

      Delete
  2. Nothing sweeter than a content, sleeping little one.
    I think life is always a learning curve of some sort, you just have to prioritize and focus on what's really important, what can be pared back, what can wait and what can drop off the list.There is always the chance to reshuffle when circumstances change.
    Congratulations on learning to knit, cotton dishcloths or facewashers are quick and easy for a beginner and so useful, the one knitted from the corner is a good one to start on. You can often find cotton yarn at an op shop in small quantities that are enough for a small project or a stripey one....have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree.

      I'm currently making squares of various sizes in the aim to join them up to form a kinda patch work cot blanket. I figure I can needle felt pictures over the top of any dodgy looking bits! 😂

      It might be rug the indoor dog basket yet. Old Tess will be happy with a snugly rug. :)

      Xx

      Delete
  3. Emma, Margaret fixes my knitting mistakes. She is the knitting extraordinaire and is rarely seen without her knitting. Nice to see you learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I need to find myself a knitting expert yo help with my mistakes - there are plenty! Ha!

      Xx

      Delete
  4. Just about anything comes good with prqctice, I am happy to help Chel with her knitting, my Mum and grandma were my helpers. I knitted a cable jumper when I was only 12, so I don't remember when I started knitting , I have many years of practice behind me.
    Hope you enjoy your knitting, I find it very relaxing and itbis always fun to create.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum taught me to knit when I was a teen, so I understood the basics. But I could never wrap my head around things like picking up a dropped stitch. But Youtube, showed me. So if you cannot find a mentor, search Youtube.

    Although I have something even better. A website called Knitting Help. It's helped me a number of times! You can find it here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/ It has really easy videos to watch, so you can visualise what you need to do. It even has a knitting forum and free patterns too.

    Good luck, and enjoy your new knitting sills. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links Chris! Thats awesome! :)

      Im about the same - I learnt to knit plain stich young and that was it.

      xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Emma. I'm back in the blogging world and I was catching up reading here. Your kitchen remodel looks great! And the bedroom, etc. I wanted to learn to knit last winter and I never did...at least knit washcloths. Maybe this winter. I love how your little kitty is pictured throughout. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Andrea!

      Thankyou. The house feels like a mansion in comparison to how we were living before. Amazing what difference perspective makes. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. My lovely mother in law has taught me to knit, although I am really slow and have started many things (dish cloths and a scarf)I'm yet to finish anything :-) Perhaps she can help you one Thursday
    -Kelly B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true! I can go to great granny for bigger lessons and your mil might be able to help me sort out my stuff ups. :)

      Delete
  8. I first came across Galatians 6:9 while we were in the midst of visiting NICU every day to see our wee boy. I had eight other kids to look after and homeschool and I felt very weary. I was opening the curtains in the lounge one morning and happened (I don't know why) to pick up a small bible that was sitting out and flick through it. The pages stopped at Galatians 6:9 and I read the verse I so needed to hear. Now two years on, I still love to read this verse, as I can feel my strength return and God's hand on my shoulder.
    A nice post and very true - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beutiful story. Im very sorry to hear your wee little ones entrance to the worldwas so traumatic.

      It is a good remnder isnt it? Thankyou for taking the time to tell me your story.

      xx

      Delete
  9. Emma, a beautiful post and so very true...there are seasons and there are seasons. One step at a time and carrying on with patience and persistence . Love the Galatians quote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful post Emma. Keep doing what you're doing - you're an inspiration. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Emma, sorry a second comment as I couldn't find another place to contact you. Really love your blog - I've linked you from my "Great Blogs" page (https://muchmoremulch.blog/other-blogs/). Keep going, Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to look at things that happen. I too get so weary but if I just keep going forward doing what needs to be done the reward pops up around the corner. And that is what makes my heart smile knowing I did the right thing. I am a single mom and some tasks are hard and I am not good at asking for help but when I finally do the task is done and I can smile at the result. And the smiles are what makes all our effort worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top