New seasons.

Change is in the air around the little old cottage. 

The days are growing longer, the sun beginning to show its face again (kinda) after what has been a cold and wet winter.  Its been lovely to have such a real winter after the fires, there is so much green about.  But the sun is also wonderful.

Our kitchen is going well, though not finished yet, it is mostly functional now.  We have the top cupboards still to hang, the tiling to do, woodwork and walls to finish painting, the electrician to finish off and the floor to give another paint.  We will lay oak coloured timber flooring when the back part of the house is repaired.  For now the painted floor will give us a clean, sealed surface. 



Even though the kitchen is not finished, it feels like total luxury!  Clean cupboards, solid benches, a sensible pantry to build up a stockpile again..  Finally I can unpack my kitchen properly, we can drag away the old van from the front of the house which is blocking the light into the lounge and get on with an ordinary life.  I'm cooking on the wood oven for now, until my old vintage oven is re-connected which I'm getting the hang of, though not ideal this winter as we have not got wood stacked, cut, organized and dry as we usually would seeing as we have been flat out trying to get the place liveable since moving here. 

As this semester commences we are entering a new chapter in our lives.  I have been offered a job through the Uniting Church Synod to help women and children recover after the devastating Pinery fires that came through our district at the end of last year.  I feel so very blessed to be able to do the work that's in my heart of hearts.  It is one day/week for 6 months.  I am also doing another subject at college, this time a 1st year bachelor subject which is a step up in study too as I continue to explore ministry.

I'm very excited about these doors that are opening, but also aware that a new door cannot open without an old door closing. 

So it seems I am quite possibly coming to the end of my season of being a full time Mama at home, I have loved this special chapter of my life.  Its been beautiful, hard, messy and challenging.  So if my blog is quiet I am here.  Refelcting on life, the changes and making the most of it all.  Foucusing on being present, on working out how to do what I need to do in the time I have and honouring it all, and myself as I learn a new rhythm for our family. 

I am ready for these changes, I am excited for them and feel blessed to have this work to do.  It is a new season, full of possibility, new experiences, people to meet.  But it is tinged with just a touch of sadness.  After all there is beauty in all seasons.  Each one important and precious.

As I was typing this Ecclesiates 3 came to mind....


A Time for Everything

1There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
 
So as I enter a new season of life, I'm not sure how much I will come to blog.  My mind has been blank recently.  Perhaps it was the busyness of school holidays, the distractions of a new job to find my feet in, A job I will need to forge my own path in.  Study and the reality of the new season I am entering.  Perhaps it has been that with the renovations life has not been simple.  Perhaps it is a combination of all of them. 

I will no doubt return to blogging with my heart full of passion for it with photos of the cottage and our simple living life to share.  Stories of the boys, the garden and my usual random thoughts and ponderings.  But for now, I feel I am entering a season of rest for this little blog.  As I work to find my calm place in amongst the changes in our lives.

Much love,
Emma
xx

12 comments

  1. You will make a success of the new position, simply because of your passion. Enjoy the new paths opening before you. Much love and luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just what I needed to read after giving up a well paying part time job that was effecting my health and mental well being to be home full time feeling I need to do this yet feeling lost at the same time. Wishing you all the best Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, a season of transition and finding your new rhythm! Go gently, rest up and a rhythm that suits you will develop soon enough. So sorry to hear you have been struggling with your health and mental well being, perhaps these are the areas you need to spend some time on? Relaxing, doing things for you and filling your tank? Best wishes. xx

      Delete
  3. Emma I haven't mentioned this on my blog yet, but it feels appropriate to here. My husband is studying to be an army chaplain. It seems you are following similar paths, and I get what you're sharing. It changes perspective. Time gets used up, serving others.

    My husband's dad was in the military, which left a lot of wounds in the family, which were never acknowledged openly. So he wanted to be there for others, who may not know how to talk openly either, but to serve them in the background nonetheless. It's not something he ever imagined he'd become, but when he heard the call, there was no silencing it. I'm sure it was similar for you.

    You may not have to give up the blog entirely though. I found the times I wanted to give up writing on my blog, it was because I had to absorb change. The kind of change I wasn't familiar with, so I didn't know how to share it. Once that change became normal however, I could settle into sharing snippets of my life again. Returning to blogging, actually helped me stay normal in a changing environment, once I got over the initial adjustment period.

    Anyway, please do what you feel is right, not necessarily what I share. ;) Congratulations on your new appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes your right, ministry is an unusual path in that by the very nature and the call of it, there is often many more hours put in behind the scenes on top of allocated work hours. What wonderful important work your husband is doing. So important to look after our forces with all the traumas and challenges they face.

      I hope to continue my blog still, as I started it to record life for our family really. I fully intend to come back to it when things are settled down, and we work out a new rhythm. :)

      Thankyou.
      xx

      Delete
  4. First, your new kitchen looks so lovely! It's amazing to see the transformation.
    Second, glad to hear that new things are happening in your life, and I hope they bring you the fulfillment you desire from them.
    Sad to hear that you will be blogging less, as I do think you have a wonderful gift and it is a privilege to share in your insights into life. But of course, I understand that there are seasons in life where you need to withdraw a bit and settle into the rhythm of things for a while.
    God bless you and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to see the kitchen coming together, and the difference it makes to our family life already! I cannot wait until it is totally finishes, and my little personal touches in place, the cupboards full and my stockpile back up!

      I do hope to come back to blogging more, I do love it and its a great record for the boys. I'm hoping in a couple of months we will have carved out time for everything we need to do and it will naturally return. :)

      Thankyou for your kind words and for reading! Its just lovely to know people all around the world read, and invest prayer and positive thoughts into our little family. When I look at the blog stat number I do some times wonder where they all come from! LOL!

      xx

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your new venture Emma, I hope it all goes well for you.

    Life happens and blogging takes the back seat. This has been me the past few years. I still blog but I struggle to do it regularly. Sometimes its the shortage of time, other times it is the shortage of words. Some days I feel I should give it up altogether, but I still seem to come back :)

    God Bless you and your lovely family,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up, I like popping in and reading. I think its surprising how many people do like keeping tabs isn't it? Its like with a blog your in touch with an old friend. Its a funny thing. :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. I am certain that you will find much more to blog about as your life widens, your wisdom deepens and the call to share it beckons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will, I do have plenty to write about, just not plenty of time.

      You know the visual of a duck sitting calmly on the water and its feet madly paddling below? I'm like the duck that cant swim and is splashing madly! Oh the stories! ha! lucky I can laugh at myself!

      xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top