Community garden

Monday, 18 July 2016

school holiday bliss!

My goodness I love school holidays. 

No schedule to follow, free learning, wonderful, slow coffee dates with friends where the kids run wild. 


This is the life! 

We are off to a bush garden this morning, and then to a local cafĂ© for lunch I'm told I will just love.  I saw dumplings on their photo - so I'm quite sure I will love it too.  It is an utterly prefect day for it!  The sun is shining, the air is crisp and cold. 

Ronnie loves to come for a run.






It makes me want to homeschool when times are like this.  We have been doing holidays projects and working on areas which the boys are a little behind in.  They are so enthusiastic and keen to learn.  Sounds are being practiced, and confidence grown. 

The kitchen is coming along quickly now! I love this part.  Today we started to move back into the kitchen after being in the caravan for about 7 weeks.  I already have more bench space in this little corner then I have for the entire time I lived here with the old kitchen.  It's AMAZING!  My fridge is actually in the same room as the kitchen now, as it was under the porch.  There is room to cook, to prep, to just be togeather.


Soon there will be the oven fitted and the pantry fitted also, then come top cupboards and tiles.  It's such a pleasure to cook while the fire in the wood oven crackles and pops away.


This little old cottage is slowly being transformed.  With love, effort, time and patience.


There has been much going on here, I will have to catch the blog up once school holidays are over.  But in the meantime we are still here, enjoying the time togeather.

Much love,
Emma
Xx

15 comments:

  1. The mud kitchen photo brought back memories. I used to love making mud pies as a young child. Your kitchen is coming together beautifully. How excited you must feel over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very excited! It's going to be so functional!

      Yes, it's convinced me to put a mud kitchen in the bush garden out the back. Will be a great place for the boys.

      Xx

      Delete
  2. Kitchen is looking awesome. Glad you're enjoying the holidays. Just wondering if you're planning to paint the bricks on your fireplace, the same colour as your walls? It would give the illusion of more space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not painting the bricks. We stripped them back to expose them. They were made locally when the cottage was built 100 years ago in a local brick factory. We love them!

      The kitchen is small and cosy, and I like that when it's finished it's going to have layers of texture and age.

      I do like painted modern brick though. :)

      Xx

      Delete
    2. If you know their history, I can understand why you wouldn't want to cover them over again. I'm not suggesting they look bad, either, when I suggested painting them. I was just sharing an old designers trick. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm beginning to get kitchen envy Emma..!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I only photographed the good bit. ;) But I am in love with my dishwasher hidden behind a cupboard. Oh the luxury!

      Have been thinking of you, hope you are well sally.
      Xx

      Delete
  4. The kitchen is looking sooo good, cosy and friendly, love the wood bench tops.
    Just a little tip, put your thermy on a wooden board so when it needs to be moved you just move the board, because if it gets dragged or lifted incorrectly it can cause problems. My daughter has one and uses it constantly.

    So good to see you back inside and enjoying the result of all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's a really great tip! I will certainly do that. I might keep my eye out for a board for it. Thankyou! It's always been at easy arms length but now the corner is quite deep and I'm quite short, and I think Grant made the bench tops higher for himself. Ha! It's quite comfortable to work at, but find myself leaning a little (OK, a lot) to reach that deep corner.

      Xx

      Delete
  5. I love school holidays too when days can just unfold and there's time to follow your child's bliss. They seem to learn so much just by finding out about the things they are interested in and doing the little projects they set their minds to and that are really meaningful to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just lovely isn't it? I completely agree. :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. The two boys and Dad lighting the fire is a fabulous shot.

    The mud kitchen is the first time I have ever seen anything like this - so original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. :)

      Yes, in bush gardens its quite common theme, or in waldorf learning and the more "natural" parenting stream and so forth. We plan on setting aside a space in the bush garden when we get it established over the coming spring. Along with stepping logs and a fire pit to enjoy. Costs nothing to make as we will just use all the off cuts and a few old pots and pans that are in the sandpit. It opens up a whole new world!

      xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!