our year of less progress

Our year of less challenge has forced us to carefully consider purchases as we enter the new school year.  Will starts high school this year, meaning he needed a set of totally new school uniforms.  I have been carefully sourcing these second hand, though there are a couple of things to date I have been unable to find in his size.  The school belt ($20) and dress grey shorts ($40) are items I'm still looking for second hand.  Specific emblemed socks I will buy new.  At $8.50 a pair, they had better be good quality.    

 We are lucky to have nature literally at our back door.  



I have been keeping track of what we have purchased over the last month and most of what we have bought falls into our pre-approved category, though it still feels like there has been a lot of buying compared to our 'normal'.  I really look forward to this settling down again.

Angus needed a new school bag as his was well and truly worn out.  I looked for a couple of weeks for a decent second-hand bag but people were asking too much for bags that were damaged/stained so we opted to buy it new.  The other boys will continue to use their old bags which are in perfectly fine condition.  

The boys also needed good cooler bags and freezer blocks for their lunch boxes as they don't store the kids lunchboxes in the air-conditioned classrooms here like they do in SA and it gets mighty hot in summer.  The little boys needed new black school shoes as they outgrew last years, their sneakers are fine and last years uniforms also still all fit well.  

School items

Second hand
$60 x2 button-up shirts, tie and cap never used.  (Saved $40)
$20 School jumper, good condition.  (Saved $50)
$10 Sports shirt and shorts, good condition.  (Saved $50)
Total: $90 (Saved: $140)

New
$10 laptop cover
$36 x3 insulated lunch bags/freezer blocks
$25 x1 school bag (looked second hand but none were in good enough condition for asking price)
$40 x2 pair leather black school shoes
Total: $111

Angus turned 9 this weekend and he asked for a new mountain bike.  He had outgrown his last one which was passed down to Henry.  I found a beautiful, never ridden brand new bike that was an unwanted Christmas gift.  We managed to get for $170.  The bike retails for $500 and the family had also paid to get it assembled at a further $200.  Which means essentially we got a $430 discount on the item.  Grandparents are pitching in money towards the bike.  I also have a book tucked away I purchased earlier on sale.

Our fourth baby is due in 4 weeks.  I am opting to have a c-section on extensive medical advice post some pretty serious birth injuries which I'd like to not exacerbate further.  This means I will be spending a 3-4 nights in the hospital.  At home, I usually sleep in old tee shirts, but I wanted something a little more presentable for the hospital so I don't scare the staff and visitors.  I splashed out and bought three pairs of cotton/linen PJ shorts.  Breastfeeding also requires access to breasts, so I have purchased 3 breastfeeding singlets with a bra insert that allows me to keep my tummy covered and a breastfeeding bra.  I have been accumulating these items slowly and I choose to buy them new as they are undergarments.  I know from experience that they will be worn on a continual basis throughout my entire breastfeeding journey, which will likely last between 1-2 years.  I have sewn some washable cloth breast pads from up-cycled flannel with wool inserts.  I also bought some soft cotton high waisted undies that will sit above my section incision.  (Too much information yet?)

The boys bought small tablets with their Christmas money which needed sturdy protective covers so these were bought too.  Teaching and ensuring our children look after their belongings is essential in the long term minimization of waste.


A beautiful hand made gift from Jane, a long term reader.  

Other

New
$30 x3 pair cotton PJ shorts
$45 x3 breastfeeding singlets
$10 x1 breastfeeding bra
$5 x2 pair rubber thongs
$58 x2 sturdy tablet covers
$10 pack of cotton high waisted undies
Total: $158

Second hand
$170 mountain bike (saved $230 + $200 assembly cost)


Angus and his new bike
Other
Angus wanted Japanese food for his special birthday lunch and then to go swimming in the river for the afternoon.  As I had just been discharged from the hospital that morning (Baby and I are ok, Ill mention it in my next post.) and was still sore, so we took the easy comfortable option and went to a lovely restaurant and bought a chocolate mousse cake to have at home.  The boys thought eating in the restaurant was very special.  We drank water to save a little money and lunch for the 5 of us was $80.  The boys had a great swim in the river with Grant while I went home and rested.  We had homemade chicken burgers for dinner, watched Tin Tin together and ate chocolate cake.  Angus had a lovely birthday, doing all the things of his choice and though I was disappointed to not have made him a special cake due to being admitted to hospital,  he was just as happy with his shop-bought one.  In our year of less challenge, we purposely left room for a planned monthly family treat for occasions exactly like this.

Living simply, frugally and consuming less is not about deprivation.  Rather it is about mindful, conscious consumption that creates more meaningful and memorable experiences.  Eating in at a restaurant is more expensive than say take away, but it is a slower experience which can be savoured and enjoyed together.  It also creates less waste then take away while supporting the local economy.

Have you managed to consume less this month? Or look second hand for the items you need?

Much love,
Emma
xx




Powered by Blogger.