DIY natural leather conditioner

Since deciding to live a simpler life minimising chemicals around the house is an important part of that.  Sometimes I fall back into the habit of using commercial products, but I try to buy a greener version when I can.  I do however prefer to make my own cleaners from scratch which is simple, satisfying and saves a lot of money.


Due to having a household of people allergic to dust, we have a leather lounge and hard floors throughout.  I love our leather couch.  It's hardy and easy to clean which is a must in a house of animals and children.

However, leather does require a little TLC to keep it in good shape for many years.  If it is not cared for properly it can split and crack at which point it is hard to repair.

I regularly vacuum the nooks and crannies of the couch and give it a quick wipe over with a damp cloth.  But twice a year I give it a thorough clean and deep condition.  this is particularly important before and after winter as we have always had a wood fire.  The heat that comes from a wood fire is very drying and dry leather is prone to cracking.  Maintenance is the key to prolonging the life of any leather item.  Our couch is now 9 years old and remains in great condition despite heavy daily use by kids, cats and dogs.  I have found over the years that many commercial leather cleaners smell strongly of chemicals and don't seem to deeply condition the leather.

I thought I would share my frugal, natural DIY leather maintenance routine.  This method is suitable for leather lounges/boots/shoes/bags and the like.  If your item has a suede or a natural finish, this method is not suitable.  

Cleaning the couch

Ingredients
2tbsp of grated natural, gentle soap.  I use a basic homemade soap
Ice cream bucket of warm water
Soft cotton rag

Technique
Vacuum the couch thoroughly to remove all dust and debris from any nooks and crannies.
Dissolve soap into warm water
Thoroughly wipe couch or leather item with a soft, damp cloth


Leather Conditioner

Ingredients
Grated beeswax
Coconut oil
lemon essential oil

Method
This leather conditioner requires a 2 parts beeswax to 1 part coconut oil.  I make a small pot of this as its the container I have on hand and a little bit goes a long way.

Add grated beeswax to a small saucepan, add half the amount of coconut oil, add 4-8 drops of lemon essential oil
Heat gently until combined
Pour into a well-sealed container and allow to cool

Use
Get a clean, soft cotton cloth dip into the leather balm and rub into the couch until completely absorbed.  I then like to get another clean soft cloth and rub over the couch to ensure there is no excess, just like polishing it.  Like many natural cleaning techniques, this method requires more time and a bit of elbow grease, but I think it does a far superior job and it's well worth the effort.

Much love,
Emma
xx

Powered by Blogger.