Community garden

Saturday, 5 March 2016

Farmers markets VS the big supermarkets.

It will never cease to amaze me the difference I feel going to a farmers market to pick up bits and bobs for the week in comparison to the supermarket.  The vibe is friendly and relaxed, you know your money is going to the farmer, the produce is local, seasonal and I swear it tastes better.

I hate going to the supermarket, but to the farmers market?  I'm there in a heartbeat!  My all time favorite is in Angaston, held in big sheds undercover, the vibe is earthy, super friendly, the smells are delicious and its a bustling market.

When I go to the supermarket I walk away feeling stressed, bombarded with choices, most of which I don't want.  When I walk away from the farmers market I feel relaxed and happy and inspired to cook for my family for the week.  Its a decision that resonates with the way we want to live our lives, you know? 

I also nipped to Jembella Farm on my way home.  Sally is my blogging neighbor and has a beautiful farm and farm gate stall.  So I stopped on the way home and grabbed some honey and a gorgeous little succulent for my kitchen window sill.  My gosh, if you were to ask to look at the quintessential Barossa farm, with the old stone home, that my friends is it.  Just a beautiful place and the love they put into that farm is so clear.  You could just feel it, you know when you go to a place and you can actually feel the love and energy?  Like that.  And my gosh, the gardens, at this time of year are lovely, considering we are at the end of a long hot summer, and this summer has been HOT, and endless.

Angus being Angus got there and decided he needed to go to the toilet RIGHT. NOW.  I tried to direct him to go around the back of a huge pine tree, where it was discreet.  So he walked the entire way around the tree only to become quite convinced there would be snakes....So he settled to pee on the front of it.....on a hill....in plain view of any person driving by......*shakes head*  These children of mine, gosh I love them but they are totally shameless. 
 
I only did a quick lap around the market this morning, Grant needed me home by lunch so he could take Will fishing, and I promised Angus a homemade market ice cream.  I didn't need too many things this week.

On the menu is a chicken and veggie lasagna tomorrow night for dinner once the boys get back from their fishing trip.  A big pot of veggie soup with some of the chicken broth I made the other day for lunches and perhaps a light dinner, moussaka, a very simple. creamy pasta with the amazing sausages and by the time I cook double batches that will about do it for the week!

Its going to be a scorcher again here over the weekend, Mother nature seems to have missed out on the memo that Autumn has arrived.  I think a little doll making will be on the cards tonight, and my washing can be done once the heat is gone a bit.  I'm simply not built for the heat! 

Hope everyone is having a lovely relaxing weekend and that you each remember to take some time out for yourselves, even if its just a cuppa in the garden, sitting and doing nothing for 20 minutes. 

Much love,
Emma
xx

PS I have noticed a few new names in the comments sections lately, or a few names I have not seen for a while, I just wanted to say a big hello!  And thank you for taking the time to read, comment and share this little corner of the internet with me.  I try hard to get back to every comment, though it can take me a couple of days as I need to do it on the computer.  But I absolutely love to hear from you all and it all means so much to me.  :)   xx

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! THIS is what it is all about - interacting with real people and not faceless consumerist giants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I try to pick the best of the big boys, which in SA is Foodland. They are friendlier also. I have seen them at our local helping elderly people put their shopping in the car still. Mind you are local is kinda semi-rural in a way, its the big center surrounded by prime farming land.

      xx

      Delete
  2. Aaww Emma, I really really wish you had opened that gate and come right around to my kitchen door. Hahhaa I can imagine a little boy hiding behind(?) that big pine tree across the road. Next time in Angaston PROMISE me you'll pop in!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will next time I promise Sally. No doubt I will do a run again in a few weeks, when I have a free morning Ill swing by. :) I was something I did reguraly before the move but have not quite got into the swing of it yet.

      I was on a time line this week as Grant was heading out and I was worried about inconveniencing you if you were hard at work! And I wish it was behind it the pine tree! It was on the front as he thought there would be snakes behind it. bahaha! ;)

      xx

      Delete
  3. OMG I literally laughed out loud about Angus' toilet adventure...I completely understand boys and their toileting 'habits', my 6yr old, just today, decided miles from anywhere that he needed to go...NOW! Of course a tree or just around the back of the car wasn't good enough. Quickly race into the nearest town (we were out exploring) find a public toilet, and of course he no longer needs to go...aargh!!
    So pleased I'm not the only one :)
    Cassandra xx
    PS Wish we had better farmers markets around here...supermarkets make me anxious, and a little cranky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kid is such a dag, I have had to pull him off the school garden more then once....oops! the joys of a child sized bladders hey?

      See I thought I was odd, supermarkets have the same effect on me!!

      xx

      Delete
  4. I loathe the supermarket. Everything is about catching your eye and taking your breath away. But I happen to like breathing. ;)

    My youngest is just starting to learn toilet training, so nothing so dramatic happening here, except a lot of washing to keep up with the accidents, lol.

    Lovely shopping trip you had there locally though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes breathing is rather important to maintaining life! Its interesting to hear Im not the only one who feels like that.

      Good luck with the toileting, I hope he is reliable by winter, toilet training in the summer is the best! :) And Im glad the big washing phase has passed here, though still have two to night train!

      xx

      Delete
  5. I do like the farmers market in Angaston - unfortunately the
    Adelaide one - which is close to me - seems to evolved into a hipster
    coffee drinking sort of market with a little too much emphasis
    on pre made "goodies" and cooking demonstrations and not enough
    on fresh basic fruit and veg. So I don't bother any more.
    Unfortunately our local Foodland (the only supermarket I go to)
    has gone the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahahaha! Oh gosh your description of the Adelaide one made me laugh! I know exactly what your talking about! Though I do love the hipster coffee loving vibe in various markets I suspect it would be too busy for me which would turn me off, not to mention Im not driving well over an hour and battling Adelaide traffic to get there. I like country markets the most. :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. I too love the Angaston market, it's always a nice treat to visit there as I always seem to spend too much money on the treats :-) Have you been to Mt Pleasant market yet or the new one in Gawler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too far unfortunately (I live in Parkside). I buy my fruit and veg
      at Central Market, Aussie Farmers Direct or our local greengrocer.
      I'm sure I'm in the minority in my thoughts regarding the Adelaide
      Farmers Market!

      Delete
    2. No I have not been to the Gawler one yet, though I do want to check it out. And yep we have checked out the mount pleasant one on country drives, though not for a while. Im a creature of habit, I tend to stick to old routines especially when I love them so much! But gawler is a few minutes closer which will be handy when I have things to do in town. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. That market is lovely we often make it a day out, go to farmers market then the playground near the main street in Anguston. Taking the scenic drive home via Tununda stopping at the second hand bookshop followed by butcher in Lyndoch. Mt Pleasant farmers market is very much like the Barossa one. I very rarely shop in the supermarket and more than happy to drive an hour to attend a nice market. We used to go Adelaide farmers market at the show grounds but way to busy and price to high for us as a family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to lots of good farmers markets but you summed up the
      showgrounds one perfectly! I have a very low tolerance for
      crowds and having to fight your way past people to get to what's
      for sale and then stand in a long queue to pay isn't ever going to
      work for me.

      Delete
    2. yes my son loves the big train playground! :) I have never explored the showground markets, I generally try to avoid the city! Sounds like I wont be I dont like big and busy really, Im happy with our beautiful little local market. :)

      xx

      Delete
  8. I've just found you blog through DTE. Its lovely and your photos are gorgeous. I will be adding you to my regularly read blogs. Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Vanessa! Lovely to hear from you and thank you so much for following along. :)

      xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!