and we have a roof

Thankyou for all of your kind comments on my last post. It seems many of us either struggle with gluten intolerance, or have someone in our lives who do. It makes sense that people with food intolerances would be on a similar simple living path, because cooking from scratch from the comfort of our own kitchens means we can eat well and safely.


Beautiful organic, pasture raised chicken from friends at Kanooka Creek Farm just up the road. They are doing similar to what we hope to be doing in a few years and they sell their chickens to restaurants and other local businesses. 
 
It's 4:30am as I sit and write by the flickering yellow glow of candlelight.  A stark contrast to the white light radiating from my laptop. The creeks are roaring and the morning is alive with the sounds of frogs and cicadas. The rooster was trying to muster the farm into some kind of action, but I think he has since given up and toddled back to bed. 

In farm news, the shed is fully undercover now. The boys all pitched in and worked hard to get it done, and not a moment too soon. It is a wet and rainy summer this year. In fact, it we are having such a wintery spell at the moment and I have been lighting the Aga. I have just tried to coax the last few coals into life for the day though I'm not sure how successful I'll be. I was planning on getting a pot of chicken broth on the simmer. Our nights are so cool at the moment that I have been popping Elsie in flannel PJ's as she was kicking off her blankets and waking a lot. It seemed to do the trick. Can you believe it? Winter PJ's in the middle of an Australian summer in the sub-tropics? Madness.


My garden has been hit by mildew. The cherry tomatoes that got established early enough are doing ok, but the ones I planted late don't look to be doing much. My lavenders are a sickly yellow colour and are clearly not loving the rain. I dug one of the younger ones up and threw a scoop of sandpit sand under it, in the hope to improve drainage and cheer it up.  They don't appreciate soggy feet. There are a few things hobbling through though. My herbs are going strong and I'm getting a steady flow of cherry tomatoes, kale, chard and spinach. Despite battling with cabbage moth. We have a couple of cucumbers beginning to produce, but it's been hit and miss. I find gardening is easier here in spring and autumn when the humidity is less and the bugs fewer. I'm sure if I was out there every day and being more vigilant my results would be better, but I confess I am a bit of a distracted gardener at times. 


The weather is either pouring with rain or swelteringly hot. 

The yurt feels a little like an Alison Lester book at the moment, but slightly less charming. There are complex games strewn about, ready to be resumed when the mood strikes. Washing in various states of drying is hanging in every available space, and we duck and weave through the racks as we negotiate our way around the yurt. The loft has been converted into a complex lego city where dragons, robots and space ships co-exist. Guinea pigs get brought in, bundled in an old towel numerous times a day. It must be said that guinea pigs are very sweet animals, but not very bright. It always feels a little precarious bringing the guinea pigs inside with two cats and a Scottish terrier underfoot. Tuk the border collie appears more trustworthy. Upon meeting them he gave them a a sniff and a gentle lick, which seemed to be a more of a 'hello there' lick rather than a taste test. 


I can hear Elsie stirring so I might leave this post on the short side and sneak back under the covers with her. 

I hope you are keeping well dear readers. Is the weather weird where you are? 

Much love, 
Emma
xx


  


Powered by Blogger.