Garden progress

Finally we have started our veggie patch!  Well we are working on the structural aspects of it anyway for now.  Grant surprised me with the most beautiful gate he made out of scraps that were lying around the yard at the old cottage.  Paths are being laid from old bricks that were also here when we bought it, which will act as dividers between the beds. 

We will be spending the next month or more working in the garden, while we save for the cladding on the house.  The fence needs to be mended thanks to the dogs, (grrr...) a little more rubble to clear, soil turned and manure and straw brought in ready for some seedlings. 

One of the hardest parts for me in this move would have to be the yard.  Its huge yes, and there are fruit trees.  But that was about it.  There are still the old falling down sheds which we will need to get the abspestos people to come in to professionally and safely remove the roof off before we can demolish it.  Piles of building rubble remain, though there is certainly less.  Many trailor loads have been removed, light timber has been burnt and good hard timber stored in our woodshed for winter.  A bonfire makes for great free cold weather entertianment! 

But to see the bones of the veggie patch start to go in, the front garden started.....well it feels like we are moving in the right direction.    

But, you know, in the aim of keeping it real and honest I don't know if I would do this move again if given the choice.  There has been plenty of good to come out of it.  But plenty of difficulty too.  This was a move to substantially reduce debit.  Financially it has been good, and it has certainly been beneficail to Grant in all aspects of his life.  He was under huge pressure and he is certainly happier here.  But I just don't feel settled here. Families, we always compromise for the best for the family, hey?  It is silly to say I wouldn't do it again, as it is not like I can go back in time, best to make the most of it all.  :) 

I miss my old 3 bedroom house, with the big lined out shed where visitors could stay, where I had a wonderful bright, airy sewing space.  I miss being in town, where school was a 6 minute drive down the road, rather then a 1hr return trip.  I miss my girlfriends being able to pop in for a cuppa after school run, I'm lonley here.  I have plenty of company, and oppertunity to chat.  But I miss that deep connection I had with dear friends on a regular basis. 

There is plenty of good here, mind you.  We are close to our business, being involved in the renewal of a lovely country church, my ministry work which I love, financially things are much lighter.  Grant is far happier here. 

But I don't feel like this is home in my heart of hearts.  I do my best to notice the quiet, the lovely outlook.  I get plenty of delight from each step of establishing our new garden.  I love to see the chooks with a great big space, the fruit trees.  There is plenty of good things, of lovely things.  Perhaps if we hang around long enough these things will grow in me. 

Perhaps I am simply a wanderer at heart!  Since Grant and I have been married we have moved about 8 times in the last 10 years.  Or perhaps I am a homebody who has simply not found my home yet.        

But either way, I am excited about the prospect of a veggie garden.  Its shaping up to be a good size space and we should be able to grow plenty there.  Hopefully we will be able to sell the excess in the shop too. 

My new gate.  Im in so much love with it!  And it cost us nothing which is always a bonus. 


A new path in the process of being built. 

Salvias are in full bloom, one of my very favorite plants!  Tough, hardy, beautiful. 

This little lempon tree is a ripper.  Its a terrible shape, old, gnarled.  But it gives fruit like a tree twice its size would!  It's all heart.   

Oranges and grapefruit are also in abundance....Pity we all dislike grapefruit.  Ha! 
Well it's best I get going, work to do and all that. 

Much love, and I hope you can find some time for peace and reflection in your week. 

xx

12 comments

  1. I've always wanted to live away from everything on land but also wonder just how I would go. I'm home all day on my own whilst my hubby is at work and the kids school. Most days I'm busy with anilmals, garden, cooking however there are those moments of loneliness too. I may chat with Mum, walk and pick the kids up from school, go out in the garden or even turn the TV on just for some noise. I love being home and also enjoy being on my own however sometimes I need some kind of interaction.
    Hugs coming your way Emma xx.

    Grant has done a wonderful job with the gate, I love it. Your garden will be lovely too. Little by little it will come together.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you- I know I am not a remote farm kind of girl!

      I went to college today and am feeling much brighter. I love that place, to converse with people on a similarly unusual path as my own, also unpacking faith.

      I also love being at home too. I love time alone, but also value real, solid conversations.

      we are all such complex people arent we? Full of contradictions! ;)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Have you thought of making 3 fruits marmalade with the grapefruit? It is quite tasty and the grapefruit flavour is hidden a bit amongst the orange and lemon flavours. Love the garden gate and I'm looking forward to viewing your vege garden as you plan and plant it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I can still taste it. LOL! I need to find a barter. :) Though we can pop some in our shop.

      xx

      Delete
  3. We made a tree change 4.5 years ago, admittedly we are only 30 minutes from family and friends, but I get the isolation. I love our town and never want to leave, but being busy as mum, wife, student means I don't get time to connect as much as I would like to.
    Hang in there, it sounds like everything is still settling down, once your garden gets going you'll be too busy to be lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure your right. :) Im SO looking forward to it.

      I dont think I need alot of connection, I quite like being alone - but I do need it to be meaningful you know? :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. Look at that gate! And that brick path! What a beginning for your veggie garden, Emma. Salvias are one of my favourite plants too, they are so hardy and colourful and bees love them.

    As you shape and grow your garden, as you renovate your cottage to improve it, you are creating a home. It is hard to be a long drive from friends but perhaps there might be time for coffee together before your drive home or a regular time when you could all meet for a shared meal, each of you contributing something to the table. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days there are. :)

      Soon college will be finished for the term and I will be be less tied for a couple of weeks, I look forward to making the most of it!

      And Grant is doing a wonderful job! :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. Emma ir is hard moving away from good friends, the school trip sounds tiring. Yes we all compromise on house and home,hoping it all comes together for you. Gatelooking good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I feel really bad about not having stopped by for a coffee and chat!
    I miss my old double brick house, now that we're in a transportable. I don't miss the 'colourful' neighbours or the trains going past every half hour!
    I cope fine being relatively isolated though, I am quite happy in my own company, although I do miss outside adult conversation!
    I also tend to not entertain as much because our house is smaller, more dated and I feel it's never tidy enough to have people over, much to hubby's annoyance, I think he misses having his mates pop in when ever!
    But hey, we're on acreage now and that was our dream!
    Some days are downers, but mostly it's all smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Kelly don't feel bad! I'm fine, it's just a different rather to get used too. I too like my own company.

      Don't hold off having guests, real friends won't mind and I'm sure your home is lovely and friendly! :) xx

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting me here in my little corner of the big wide web. I really appreciate your comments, and love to read each and every one of them. I will always endevour to reply, but occasionally I run out of time. But please know they mean alot to me! If something resonates with you feel free to "Like" and "share", its nice to know I'm not talking to myself. Ha!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top